cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Discussions
Connect with fellow community members to discuss general topics related to the Databricks platform, industry trends, and best practices. Share experiences, ask questions, and foster collaboration within the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CONVERT_TIMEZONE issue in DLT

SamGreene
Contributor

I can run a query that uses the CONVERT_TIMEZONE function in a SQL notebook.  When I move the code to my DLT notebook the pipeline produces this error:

Cannot resolve function `CONVERT_TIMEZONE`

Here is the line:  CONVERT_TIMEZONE('UTC', 'America/Phoenix', date_time) as local_datetime

Should this work?

5 REPLIES 5

SamGreene
Contributor

Can anyone replicate this?  Thanks. 

annn
New Contributor II

I'm having this exact same issue. @SamGreene did you ever find a resolution to this?

Danny_Lee
Contributor III

Have you added

%sql

magic command?

Also, did you SELECT the CONVERT_TIMEZONE?  

> SELECT convert_timezone('America/Los_Angeles', 'UTC', timestamp_ntz'2021-12-06 00:00:00');
2021-12-06 08:00:00

-- Current session local timezone: UTC
> SELECT convert_timezone('America/Los_Angeles', timestamp_ntz'2021-12-06 08:00:00');;
2021-12-06 00:00:00

From docs: https://docs.databricks.com/en/sql/language-manual/functions/convert_timezone.html

Yes, Danny, this is in an otherwise functional DLT SQL notebook.  It happens when I add the function around an existing column being selected. 

annn
New Contributor II

Yes, the notebook is set to SQL and the convert_timezone function is within a select statement.

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!