cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Discussions
Connect with fellow community members to discuss general topics related to the Databricks platform, industry trends, and best practices. Share experiences, ask questions, and foster collaboration within the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to pass variables to a python file job

ducng
New Contributor II

Hi everyone,

It's relatively straight forward to pass a value to a key-value pair in notebook job. But for the python file job however, I couldn't figure out how to do it. Does anyone have any idea?

ducng_0-1696256847837.png

Have been tried out different variations for a job with python file like below for example. Theoretically, I think we can add a notebook task initially in the job flow to work around. But it would be great to know a straightforward way to do this

ducng_1-1696256883016.png

Thank you for your time

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

btafur
Contributor III
Contributor III

You don't need to use dbutils for this type of parameters. You can get the arguments using sys.argv. This is an example using a python wheel, but you can use it as reference: https://docs.databricks.com/en/workflows/jobs/how-to/use-python-wheels-in-workflows.html

"""
The entry point of the Python Wheel
"""

import sys

def main():
  # This method will print the provided arguments
  print('Hello from my func')
  print('Got arguments:')
  print(sys.argv)

if __name__ == '__main__':
  main()

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

btafur
Contributor III
Contributor III

You don't need to use dbutils for this type of parameters. You can get the arguments using sys.argv. This is an example using a python wheel, but you can use it as reference: https://docs.databricks.com/en/workflows/jobs/how-to/use-python-wheels-in-workflows.html

"""
The entry point of the Python Wheel
"""

import sys

def main():
  # This method will print the provided arguments
  print('Hello from my func')
  print('Got arguments:')
  print(sys.argv)

if __name__ == '__main__':
  main()

ducng
New Contributor II

ah, thank you, completely forgot about that 🙂

Bruno-Castro
New Contributor II

Thanks so much for this! By the way, is there a way to do it with the JSON interface? I am struggling to get the parameters if entered in this way 😕

BrunoCastro_0-1715153819097.png

BrunoCastro_1-1715153834096.png

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!