cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Platform Discussions
Connect with fellow community members to discuss general topics related to the Databricks platform, industry trends, and best practices. Share experiences, ask questions, and foster collaboration within the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data loss after writing a transformed pyspark dataframe to delta table in unity catalog

datastones
New Contributor III

Hey guys, after some successful data preprocessing without any errors, i have a final dataframe shape with the shape of ~ (200M, 150). the cluster i am using has sufficient ram + cpus + autoscaling, all metrics look fine after the job was done.

The problem that i am facing is that only approx half of my data is written to the delta table. is there any thoughts on as to why this is happening? I'd really appreciate some guidance here! here is my code snippet:

repartition_df = df.repartition(<num_cores*2; or 1>).persist() # i also tried without using df persist but no luck either, none of them works
repartition_df.write.format("delta").mode("overwrite").option("overwriteSchema", "true").saveAsTable(output_table)
chunked_df.unpersist()

4 REPLIES 4

szymon_dybczak
Contributor

Hi @datastones ,

Are you 100% sure that your final df contains all the rows that you're expecting? Maybe some join condition at earlier stage causes this problem? 

Hey @szymon_dybczak, i appreciate your prompt response! yup, I check the dataframe shape and show some output along the way prior to writing it out. the shape looks checked out right before i perform the write... what a mystery this is!

datastones
New Contributor III

1 interesting thing that I observed when playing around with different repartition size: 2,4,8,16,32,64. i have 32 cores per node. The total written result increased up to 65% of the final df at repartition = 8 (but this is very inconsistent and hard to reproduce...)

Definitely weird, basically since you're writing in delta format you shouldn't lose any data. Delta tables support ACID transaction, so either it writes to your table all data or it leaves table in consistent state (before write action).
In your situation, I would run df.count() before wrtiting to delta table to double check that dataframe contains expected number of rows.
You can also get rid of persist from above code, it's useful if you're going to use the same dataframe in different set of calculation. No use for that just before writing to the table.

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group