cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Platform Discussions
Connect with fellow community members to discuss general topics related to the Databricks platform, industry trends, and best practices. Share experiences, ask questions, and foster collaboration within the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

jdbc errors when parameter is a boolean

JVesely
New Contributor III

I'm trying to query a table from Java code. The query works when I use a databricks notebook / query editor directly in Databricks. 

However, when using Jdbc with Spring, I get following stacktrace. 

org.springframework.jdbc.UncategorizedSQLException: PreparedStatementCallback; uncategorized SQLException for SQL [SELECT rowkey, sendReminder FROM ANIMAL WHERE sendReminder = ?]; SQL state [HY000]; error code [500352]; [Databricks][JDBCDriver](500352) Error getting the parameter data type: HIVE_PARAMETER_QUERY_DATA_TYPE_ERR_NON_SUPPORT_DATA_TYPE; nested exception is java.sql.SQLException: [Databricks][JDBCDriver](500352) Error getting the parameter data type: HIVE_PARAMETER_QUERY_DATA_TYPE_ERR_NON_SUPPORT_DATA_TYPE

at org.springframework.jdbc.core.JdbcTemplate.translateException(JdbcTemplate.java:1542)
at org.springframework.jdbc.core.JdbcTemplate.execute(JdbcTemplate.java:667)
at org.springframework.jdbc.core.JdbcTemplate.query(JdbcTemplate.java:713)
at org.springframework.jdbc.core.JdbcTemplate.query(JdbcTemplate.java:744)
at org.springframework.jdbc.core.JdbcTemplate.query(JdbcTemplate.java:757)
at org.springframework.jdbc.core.JdbcTemplate.query(JdbcTemplate.java:810)

I tried to search for HY000, 500352 and HIVE_PARAMETER_QUERY_DATA_TYPE_ERR_NON_SUPPORT_DATA_TYPE but didn't get any results that seemed helpful.

Using other datatypes as parameter than boolean works.

Did you face this issue, is it a known thing and most importantly, is there a workaround?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JVesely
New Contributor III

As I see it, there's two things:

• jdbcTemplate converts boolean to bit. This is according to JDBC specs (this is a "spring-jdbc" thing and according to documentation; the jdbcTemplate.queryForList makes the best possible guess of the desired type).
  • Databricks can't handle a boolean marked as bit

Either using PreparedStatement or queryForList(sql, args, argTypes) works.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @JVesely., Could you check the data type of the sendReminder column in your Databricks table? Could you please ensure that the data type is one that is supported by the JDBC driver? Common data types that work well with JDBC include INTEGERVARCHARTIMESTAMP, etc. If the data type is not supported, you may need to modify the table schema in Databricks to use a compatible data type.

JVesely
New Contributor III

Thank you very much for your answer and suggestions. 

The data type is Boolean - unless I'm mistaken, it is supported because I did the 2 following experiments:

1. Used queryForList with an extra argument, manually specifying type of arguments, where argTypes uses java.sql.Types.BOOLEAN (num value == 16)

jdbcTemplate.queryForList(sql, args.toArray(), argTypes); 

2. Using a prepared statement

ResultSet resultSet = null;
try (PreparedStatement preparedStatement = dataSource.getConnection().prepareStatement(sql)) {
preparedStatement.setBoolean(1, (Boolean) args.get(0));

Both work fine. I did a bit of deep debugging into JdbcTemplate source code and it seems like when using only queryForList(sql, args), the argument types in case of boolean don't get converted correctly. 

While we should have java.sql.Types.BOOLEAN (int value 16), we get java.sql.Types.BIT (int value -7)

JVesely
New Contributor III

As I see it, there's two things:

• jdbcTemplate converts boolean to bit. This is according to JDBC specs (this is a "spring-jdbc" thing and according to documentation; the jdbcTemplate.queryForList makes the best possible guess of the desired type).
  • Databricks can't handle a boolean marked as bit

Either using PreparedStatement or queryForList(sql, args, argTypes) works.

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group