Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asset Bundles Scala

VitaliiK
New Contributor

Do asset bundles support Scala notebooks? I am trying to run a simple job that uses Scala notebook and getting an error: "run failed with error message Your administrator has only allowed sql and python commands on this cluster. This execution contained at least one disallowed language."

I can run the same notebook as a regular job. Do I need to provide some special cluster configuration when configuring the job?

Currently I just have this:

job_clusters:
- job_cluster_key: job_cluster
new_cluster:
spark_version: 13.3.x-scala2.12
node_type_id: i3.xlarge
autoscale:
min_workers: 1
max_workers: 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ayushi_Suthar
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @VitaliiK,Thanks for bringing up your concerns; I am always happy to help 😁

The error means that the cluster is configured to only allow SQL and Python languages to be used in notebooks and the notebook you are trying to run contains a Scala language that is not allowed.

To solve this issue, you can either modify the cluster configuration to allow the language you are trying to use or modify the notebook to only use the allowed languages.
To modify the cluster configuration:

1. Go to the cluster configuration page in your workspace.
  2. Click Edit.
  3. Expand Advanced Options.
    In the Spark Config field, add the following configuration: ‘spark.databricks.allowedLanguages python,r,scala,sql’
  4. Click Confirm and Restart. This will allow the use of Python, R, Scala and SQL in notebooks on the cluster.

Also please check the cluster access mode to know the supported language on the cluster: 

https://docs.databricks.com/en/compute/configure.html#access-modes

Leave a like if this helps; follow-ups are appreciated.
Kudos

Ayushi

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Ayushi_Suthar
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @VitaliiK,Thanks for bringing up your concerns; I am always happy to help 😁

The error means that the cluster is configured to only allow SQL and Python languages to be used in notebooks and the notebook you are trying to run contains a Scala language that is not allowed.

To solve this issue, you can either modify the cluster configuration to allow the language you are trying to use or modify the notebook to only use the allowed languages.
To modify the cluster configuration:

1. Go to the cluster configuration page in your workspace.
  2. Click Edit.
  3. Expand Advanced Options.
    In the Spark Config field, add the following configuration: ‘spark.databricks.allowedLanguages python,r,scala,sql’
  4. Click Confirm and Restart. This will allow the use of Python, R, Scala and SQL in notebooks on the cluster.

Also please check the cluster access mode to know the supported language on the cluster: 

https://docs.databricks.com/en/compute/configure.html#access-modes

Leave a like if this helps; follow-ups are appreciated.
Kudos

Ayushi

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.