cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Autoloader ignore one folder in path

deng_dev
New Contributor III

Hi everyone!

I am trying to setup Autoloader to read json file with specific name from all subfolders under the path except one.

Could someone advice how this can be achieved? 

For example, I need to read from .../*/specific_name.json, but ignore test folder

So ../test/../specific_name.json should be ignored

I have tried this GLOB expression, but seems that this one is not working: 

"<bucket_name>/!(*test*)/specific_name.json"
3 REPLIES 3

standup1
New Contributor III

I think you can use REGEXP to achieve this. This might not be the best way, but it should get the job done. It's all about filtering that file in the df from getting loaded. Try something like this
df.select(โ€œ*โ€,โ€_metadataโ€).select(โ€œ*โ€,โ€_metadata.file_pathโ€).filter(โ€œfile_path not REGEXP โ€˜/folder_name/โ€™ โ€œ)

Make sure you change the folder name and df to yours.

You can also look into (pathGlobfilter) if the file name is static.

deng_dev
New Contributor III

Hi @standup1 , thank you for the response. The problem is I need to filter those files before they are loaded with Autoloader, as I need Autoloader to ignore them in schema inference.

standup1
New Contributor III

oh I see, I know this is one of the limitation of the Autoloader. However, if your file path is different from test and static. you can increase your path in load() to make sure the load doesn't read from test. for example.

If your prod path is ...prod/*/specific_name.json and your test path is ...test/*/specific_name.json. Then, in load() do load(" ...prod/*/specific_name.json"). Whatever distinguishes your other path from test is what you use in load() so it will skip the test one. I hope this help or if you can share your full path of the files that would be helpful to see.

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!