cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Best Practices for Filling Table Information for Databricks Assistant

jackgurae
New Contributor

Hi everyone,

Iā€™m looking for advice on the best practices for populating table information in Databricks to ensure that non-SQL users (such as PMs and Marketing teams) can easily query the tables using Databricks Assistant.

Specifically, I have a few questions:

1. Key Columns for Joins: Should I include information about key column(s) often used for joins in the table comment or in the column comment? Which approach would be more beneficial for users and for the Databricks Assistant to understand the relationships between tables?

2. Effectiveness of Comments: Once I add or edit comments (descriptions) for tables and columns, how long does it take for Databricks Assistant to take in the edited context? Is there a delay, and if so, how long is it?

3. Understanding Table Relationships: Does Databricks Assistant actually analyze notebooks to determine which tables are frequently joined together? It seems to struggle with this aspect even when I provide guided context. Is there a way to improve its understanding of these relationships?

Any insights or recommendations you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

0 REPLIES 0
Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!