Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't start, delete, unpin or edit cluster: User is not part of org

PrebenOlsen
New Contributor III

Hi!

Getting error message:

DatabricksError: User XXX is not part of org: YYY. Config: host=https://adb-ZZZ.azuredatabricks.net, auth_type=runtime

I am in the admin's group, but I cannot alter this in any way. I've tried using the databricks-SDK using:

from databricks.sdk import WorkspaceClient
w = WorkspaceClient()
w.clusters.change_owner(cluster_id,username)
w.clusters.unpin(cluster_id)

But the same error message comes. Cannot edit it manually, rename, start, nothing. 

Cluster was last online yesterday at 2pm. This issue happens on the same cluster in all three environment workspaces. Maybe someone's credentials were lost yesterday after leaving the company, who knows. But how to fix this? 

4 REPLIES 4

karthik_p
Esteemed Contributor

@PrebenOlsen are you part of owner/azure contributor from AD, if you are admin in databricks level, you should be able to edit cluster settings 

I am both Contributor and Data Contributor in Azure. In Databricks, I belong to the Admin group.

Noone in my team can do anything with the cluster as per now. 

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @PrebenOlsenThe error message "DatabricksError: User XXX is not part of org: YYY" indicates that the user is not part of the organization. This error can occur when the user is removed from the organization, or there is an issue with the user's credentials.

To fix this issue, follow the steps below:

1. Check if the user is still part of the organization. If not, add the user to the organization.
2. Check if the user's credentials are correct. If not, reset the user's credentials.
3. Try using the Databricks CLI to change the cluster owner. You can use the following command:

databricks clusters update --cluster-id <cluster-id> --new-owner-username <new-owner-username>

4. If the issue persists, file a  Databricks support ticket for further assistance.

youssefmrini
Honored Contributor III
Honored Contributor III

To resolve this issue, I would recommend taking the following steps:

1. Verify that you have the correct access and permissions:

Check with your Databricks organization admin to ensure that your user account has the appropriate access level and permissions to work with clusters and other resources in the organization.

2. Verify that your authentication token is valid:

Check that your authentication token is still valid and has not expired or been revoked. If necessary, generate a new token from the Databricks workspace user settings page.

3. Verify your configuration:

Check that you have configured the WorkspaceClient correctly, including specifying the correct configuration file or token. Double-check the configuration settings to ensure that they match with the Databricks environment you are working with.

4. Check for any issues with the Databricks instance or cluster configuration:

If you are still experiencing issues after verifying your access, permissions, and configuration settings, it may be worth checking with the Databricks support team to see if there are any known issues or other troubleshooting steps to take.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.