cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Casting a String (containing number in EU format) to a Decimal

Harsha777
New Contributor III

Hi,

I have a string column containing a number in EU format, has comma instead of dot, e.g. 10,35

I need to convert this string into a proper decimal data type as part data transformation into the target table.

I could do it as below by replacing the "," in the string to "." and then using the cast function, col_name is string column with values like 3,35  10,4   5,86 

cast(replace(col_name,',','.') as decimal(10,4))

But, is there any direct function which handles "," to "." (format) conversion internally and delivers the expected result?

Many thanks!!
1 REPLY 1

filipniziol
Contributor

Hi @Harsha777 ,

Your solution looks good!

However, you may try also to_number function, but unfortunately still will need to first to replace "," with ".".

from pyspark.sql.functions import to_number, regexp_replace, lit

data = [("10,6523",), ("10,23",)]
df = spark.createDataFrame(data, ["col_name"])

df = df.withColumn("decimal_col", to_number(regexp_replace("col_name", ",", "."), lit("9999999.9999")))

df.show()

filipniziol_0-1724674833316.png

Without replacement it will just remove the comma:

from pyspark.sql.functions import to_number, lit

data = [("10,6523",), ("10,23",)]
df = spark.createDataFrame(data, ["col_name"])

df = df.withColumn("decimal_col", to_number("col_name", lit("99,9999")))

df.show()

filipniziol_1-1724674921590.png

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you wonโ€™t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isnโ€™t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group