cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy files and folder into Users area , but Files are not showing in UI

rkshanmugaraja
New Contributor

Hi All

I'm trying to copy the whole training directory (which contains multiple sub folders and files) from my catalog volume area to each users area. 

To : "dbfs:/Workspace/Users/username@domain.com/Training/"

I tried using

1) dbutils.fs.cp(sourcePath , destPath, recursive=true)

Its says it successfully copied but inside the UI its not visible , If I run the ls command , I can see the files and folders. 

2) I also tried using the put API /api/2.0/dbfs/put 

its the same it says it successful but the files are not visible in the UI. 

Is there a way other than UI, because need to copy the folders to 50 users area ? Can't do it manually. 

1 REPLY 1

radothede
Contributor II

Hi  ,

Do You want to use dbfs location on purpose, or You want to upload the training notebooks to Workspace/users location? The reason I'm asking is those are two different locations, although both are related to file management in Databricks. (see: https://docs.databricks.com/en/files/index.html)

If You want to import directory to Workspace/users, one way to go would be using databricks cli.

It is a simple rest api wrapper, so it is easier to handle.

Steps would be to:

• Install databricks cli – You can use legacy version using pip install databricks-cli or download latest version using manual provided here: https://docs.databricks.com/en/dev-tools/cli/install.html
  • Configure the connection settings using databricks configure – easiest way would be to provide host and access token
  • Use databricks workspace import_dir command to import directory from Your local maschine to Workspace/users locations.

Hope that helps 😊

Best,

Rado.

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group