Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

customer is trying to generate a Databricks token for a service principal (SP). Theyโ€™ve created the SP in Azure AD and have used the Databricks rest ...

User16270906190
New Contributor III

customer is trying to generate a Databricks token for a service principal (SP). Theyโ€™ve created the SP in Azure AD and have used the Databricks rest api to add it as an admin.

When using the Databricks rest api /api/2.0/token-management/on-behalf-of/tokens to create a token for this SP, I get this error, {"error_code":"FEATURE_DISABLED","message":"On-behalf-of token creation for service principals is not enabled for this workspace"}. What's confusing is that personal access tokens are enabled and I've even gone to the extent to manually add the SP to these permissions. I'm not sure what setting I can change in Databricks to enable this feature. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8

User16752239289
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you running the API against an Azure workspace?

The API endpoint is not supported on Azure workspace now.

Could you let me know your use case so that I can understand why do you want to run api/2.0/token-management/on-behalf-of/tokens

We would also like to have this feature - e.g. to separate personal tokens and general tokens which are used e.g. for a tableau - to sql endpoint connection.

Is there a chance two have a similar feature in Azure workspace? We would like to generate a token for a SP that need to access to Databricks SQL Endpoint through an Azure Function.

how are we supposed to set up SCIM provisioning if we can't generate a token for a service principle? Please can you specify when this function will be available

Could you please provide with some information so that it could be possible to track the progress on this feature?

User16764241763
Honored Contributor

i followed the above recommendations but still getting "FEATURE_DISABLED","message":"On-behalf-of token creation for service principals is not enabled for this workspace"}

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Buxert
New Contributor II

Having the same problem here. @Nitisha Nigamโ€‹ did you solve it?

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.