Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Databricks Asset Bundle (DAB) from a Git repo?

dbx_687_3__1b3Q
New Contributor III

My earlier question was about creating a Databricks Asset Bundle (DAB) from an existing workspace. I was able to get that working but after further consideration and some experimenting, I need to alter my question. My question is now "how do I create a DAB from a Git repo?" 

We have a shared workspace where we've been building our project's Databricks assets (notebooks, python scripts, DLT pipelines, and workflows). The assets are eventually committed to our Azure DevOps Git repo. We create pull requests, code gets reviewed, and eventually the assets are merged into our release branch cleverly named "release". I need to use the release branch as the source for my DAB.

Based on the the example provided in the response, I dug a little deeper and discovered there is a workspace command to export an entire folder (export-dir). I modified the command to use export-dir and passed the path to the repo, "/Repos/release/repo_name_here". Along the way I also needed to change the arguments but, in the end, I was unable to successfully run the command because the specified path could not be found. I think it makes sense since it's likely looking in the workspace and I'm trying to use assets in a repo.

How do I build a DAB from a specific branch in an Azure DevOps Git repo?

4 REPLIES 4

erima21
New Contributor II

Any help with this?

erima21
New Contributor II

This is how I solved this:. Hope this works for you.
- bundle:

erima21_2-1701460647993.png

- jobs:

erima21_3-1701460677983.png

Еmil
New Contributor III

Hi @erima21 

Do you run the job under service principal account? 
I have git authentication issue as it appears there is no way to get the git provider to use Microsoft Entra ID (formerly Azure Active Directory) authentication. When the job is executed it appears it can not access git...
I already posted about this issue here and I wonder if you had similar experience...

Thanks

Еmil
New Contributor III

Sorry the link above doesn't work as my post on the databricks community forum was marked as spam. 
I have explained my issue on stackoverflow here.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.