cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DataBricks Auto loader vs input source files deletion detection

Maatari
New Contributor II

Hi, 

While ingesting files from a source folder continuously, I would like to be able to detect the case where files are being deleted. As far as I can tell the Autoloader can not handle the detection of files deleted in the source folder. Hence the case can't be supported. I want to confirm that first, and if it is indeed the case, inquire are the approach work around that people use in that scenario. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yeshwanth
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

@Maatari Yes, it is true that Autoloader in Databricks cannot detect the deletion of files in the source folder during continuous ingestion. The Autoloader is designed to process files exactly once unless the option "cloudFiles.allowOverwrites" is enabled.

If the files are stored in S3, we can create an alarm when an S3 DeleteObject event is triggered? Do you think this solution can help in your use case?

Kind regards,

Yesh

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Yeshwanth
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

@Maatari Yes, it is true that Autoloader in Databricks cannot detect the deletion of files in the source folder during continuous ingestion. The Autoloader is designed to process files exactly once unless the option "cloudFiles.allowOverwrites" is enabled.

If the files are stored in S3, we can create an alarm when an S3 DeleteObject event is triggered? Do you think this solution can help in your use case?

Kind regards,

Yesh

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!