cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Databricks not able to preserve special character while writing data

Priya_Data_Eng
New Contributor

I am trying to write data in csv format 

(df. coalesce(1) write

• format("csv")
  • option ("header","true")
  • Option (" sep","|시")
  • option("encoding", "UTF-8”)
  • mode ("overwrite")
  • save("/mnt/Filestore/data/job1))Now here the problem is - there is one column in this data frame df with some value starting with a ? Enclosed in square box.we can read this data from source query in this df but after writing using above code , that special character is missing in csv file. Even if I read data in databricks, this special character is missing.could you please suggest what can be the solution here to preserve this character 
1 REPLY 1

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Priya_Data_Eng,

1. Since the pipe character (|) is part of the special character, it may be causing issues. Try using a different separator character that is not part of the special character, such as a comma (,) or a tab character (\t).
  2. If the UTF-8 encoding is not preserving the special character, try using a different encoding, such as UTF-16 or UTF-32.
  3. If the CSV format is not preserving the special character, try using a different file format that is better suited for handling special characters, such as Parquet or ORC.
  4. If the special character is still not preserved, you can try using a custom character escape sequence to represent the special character in the CSV file. For example, you can replace the special character with a unique string that represents it, such as "$$?$$".

Try implementing these suggestions, and let me know if you need further assistance! 😊

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group