Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Declare a constant value in a Databricks noteboook to be used in futher SQL code

Thomas_Lehmann
New Contributor II

I'm new to databricks and try to migrate some former SQL code used so far, in a DB notebook.

I have some constants declared and I can't find the right way to similarly declare those in my notebook.

I tried

%sql
DECLARE label_language CONSTANT VARCHAR(2) := 'FR'

but it is not 'understood' by BD SQL

so I tried

label_language='FR'

which creates the constant and its value.

But when I want to use the value of this constant in my SQL code .... or it fails, or it returns 0 records in

%sql

CREATE OR REPLACE TEMPORARY VIEW label_sku_table
AS
	SELECT plt.unv_num_univers,
		plt.fam_num_family,
		ltf.lat_long_label AS fam_name_family,
        plt.dsm_code,
		plt.sku_date_end
	FROM pre_label_sku_table plt
	INNER JOIN datalake_cds.d_label_translation ltf ON plt.lab_idr_label_fam = ltf.lab_idr_label
	WHERE ltf.lan_code_langue_lan = 'label_language'
		AND	plt.ranking = 1 
	GROUP BY plt.unv_num_univers,
		   plt.fam_num_family,
		   ltf.lat_long_label,
           plt.dsm_code,
		   plt.sku_date_end;

I tried this syntax as well :

WHERE ltf.lan_code_langue_lan = '{{label_language}}'

But again ... no resulting content. As if the SQL code did not recognize the [label_language] as a variable to which the value 'FR' has been assigned.

Thank you in advance for any relevant support.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

@Thomas Lehmann​ , SQL widgets are a way to go in Databricks https://docs.databricks.com/notebooks/widgets.html

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

@Thomas Lehmann​ , SQL widgets are a way to go in Databricks https://docs.databricks.com/notebooks/widgets.html

Thomas_Lehmann
New Contributor II

Thank you @Hubert Dudek​ , gave it a try and it does the job, both in SQL and in Python btw. When the time will come to industrialize this, I'll have to figure out how to create/use/deal with some configuration files (json, yaml or so). But for exploratory purpose, widgets are enough thanks again

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.