cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delta Live Tables INSUFFICIENT_PERMISSIONS

dadrake3
New Contributor II

I have a delta live table pipeline which reads from a delta table then applies 3 layers of transformations before merging the legs of the pipeline and outputting. I am getting this error when I run my pipeline against unity catalog.

```

org.apache.spark.sql.streaming.StreamingQueryException: [STREAM_FAILED] Query [id = f2bfb7c2-7e2a-4f61-9336-aaffdee60ef8, runId = af5e6775-35ad-486e-bfb6-1f0f6102c389] terminated with exception: [INSUFFICIENT_PERMISSIONS] Insufficient privileges: User does not have permission SELECT on any file.
org.apache.spark.SparkSecurityException: [INSUFFICIENT_PERMISSIONS] Insufficient privileges: User does not have permission SELECT on any file.
```

Screenshot 2024-10-02 at 1.25.28 PM.png

In the first step of the pipeline it applies some filters and transformation logic that is configured with an azure sql database. The second step of the pipeline it joins against data in the same azure sql database. 

My pipeline is not using a cluster policy and it has photon enabled. 

Steps I have done to debug

1. I shut off the join logic and just passed the input to table 2 as the output, it works fine

2. I have run the exact join code against the input table data inside of a databricks notebook with no errors

3. I have run the exact pipeline against hive metastore with no errors

4. I have compared the query execution plans from the log4j logs for the pipeline to the query plan from my notebook and there isnt anything that sticks out. I have also meticulously combed over the logs for any other clues to no avail.

also, I have gotten this error before and it was masking other issues then that were not directly related to permissions.

0 REPLIES 0

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group