Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Failures Streaming data to Pulsar

surband
New Contributor II

I am encountering the following exception when attempting to stream data to a pulsar topic. This is a first time implementation - any ideas to resolve this is greatly appreciated.

DBR: 14.3 LTS ML (includes Apache Spark 3.5.0, Scala 2.12)

1 Driver64 GB Memory, 16 Cores
Runtime14.3.x-cpu-ml-scala2.12

Exception:

Caused by: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.apache.spark.sql.types.StructType.toAttributes()Lscala/collection/Seq;
at org.apache.spark.sql.pulsar.PulsarSink.addBatch(PulsarSinks.scala:47)
at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.streaming.MicroBatchExecution.addBatch(MicroBatchExecution.scala:1236)
at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.streaming.MicroBatchExecution.$anonfun$runBatch$19(MicroBatchExecution.scala:1465)
Code:

val query = sourceDF
  .select( to_json( struct(col("*")) ) .alias("value") )
  .writeStream
  .format("pulsar")
  .option("service.url", pulsarServiceUrl)
  .option("topic", pulsarTopic)
  .option("checkpointLocation", checkpointLocation)
  .trigger(Trigger.ProcessingTime("10 seconds"))
  .start()
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

shan_chandra
Honored Contributor III
Honored Contributor III

@surband - The feature is in public preview within DBR. Only Read from pulsar sources are supported. we shall follow up with the engg for write support to Pulsar. 

https://docs.databricks.com/en/connect/streaming/pulsar.html#stream-from-apache-pulsar

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

shan_chandra
Honored Contributor III
Honored Contributor III

Hi @surband  - can you please share the full error stack trace. Also, please use the compatible DBR(Spark) version instead of ML runtime. Please refer to the below document and validate if you have the necessary connector libraries added to the cluster.

https://docs.streamnative.io/hub/data-processing-pulsar-spark-3.2

Please see attached log files and screenshot of DBR. The ones I selected for Runtime is one of the options in the dropdown. I can't tell from DBR which version of stream native is used underneath. 

shan_chandra
Honored Contributor III
Honored Contributor III

@surband  - Databricks Runtime version has a dropdown when you edit the cluster. There will be two options - Standard, ML.  could you please let us know if you have spark pulsar connector added to the cluster libraries? 

Per the documentation here, Structured Streaming provides exactly-once processing semantics for data read from Pulsar sources.

Hello Shan_chandra, Tried with Standard DBR as suggested but same result. Spark Pulsar Connector as I understand is comes preinstalled in DBR. I have not explicitly installed anything - I did not see an documentation to do the same. The attached image "streamnative-pulsar.png" is a screenshot of Environments tab - that shows it's available in class path.

surband
New Contributor II

@shan_chandra any suggestions ?

surband
New Contributor II

Logs attached

shan_chandra
Honored Contributor III
Honored Contributor III

@surband - The feature is in public preview within DBR. Only Read from pulsar sources are supported. we shall follow up with the engg for write support to Pulsar. 

https://docs.databricks.com/en/connect/streaming/pulsar.html#stream-from-apache-pulsar

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.