cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixed interval micro-batches and AvailableNow Trigger

Maatari
New Contributor II

What is the fundamental difference between Fixed interval micro-batches and AvailableNow Trigger, given that both can consume in micro-batch based on the desire size of the micro batch ? 

Is the fundamental difference the fact that AvailableNow shut down when finished and Fixed interval micro-batches never shut down ?

Indeed as far as i am understanding the documentation, AvailableNow does not mean, one micro-batch of everything available, but depending on the size set up, might mean consuming multiple micro-batch up to what was available when the job was triggered. Am I understanding this correctly ?

The other thing i find confusing in the documentation is the idea that the micro-batch size is set up by a property of type maxBytePerTrigger (depending on the data source). If AvailableNow represent one trigger then that is a problem. So does AvailableNow actually means multiple triggers ?

2 REPLIES 2

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Maatari

• Fixed Interval Micro-batches are like clockwork, processing data at regular intervals without stopping.
  • AvailableNow Trigger is more adaptive, consuming data as it becomes available and then gracefully shutting down.

Regarding your confusion about the micro-batch size:

• The maxBytesPerTrigger property determines the maximum size of each micro-batch.
  • For AvailableNow, it doesn’t represent just one trigger; it can indeed involve multiple triggers if there’s more data to process.

Maatari
New Contributor II

This `maxBytesPerTrigger` does not work for file source right ? Only source like Kafka Source ?

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!