cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I customize the Notebook Job # while using dbutils.notebook.run method?

soumyaPattnaik
New Contributor III

When running multiple notebooks parallelly using dbutils.notebook.run from a parent notebook, an url to that running notebook is printed, like below

• Notebook job #211371132480519

Is there a way I can print the notebook name or some customized string instead of this job id. I am running multiple notebooks (more than 100 at a time) - so with just the job id it is difficult to identify which notebook run is mapped with which job id

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4

Debayan
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi @Soumya Pattnaik​ , Configurations for the job can be updated using the reset or update endpoint in jobs API 2.1 (https://docs.databricks.com/dev-tools/api/latest/jobs.html).

Also, you can use cluster tags, which allow you to easily monitor the cost of cloud resources used by various groups in your organization. You can specify tags as key-value pairs when you create a cluster, and Azure Databricks applies these tags to cloud resources like VMs and disk volumes etc.

You can monitor usage using cluster or pool tags. (https://docs.databricks.com/administration-guide/account-settings/usage-detail-tags-aws.html).

For convenience, Azure Databricks applies four default tags to each cluster:  

Vendor

Creator

ClusterName

and  

ClusterId.

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Soumya Pattnaik​ , We haven’t heard from you since the last response from @Debayan Mukherjee​ ​ ​, and I was checking back to see if my suggestions helped you.

Or else, If you have any solution, please share it with the community, as it can be helpful to others.

Also, Please don't forget to click on the "Select As Best" button whenever the information provided helps resolve your question.

soumyaPattnaik
New Contributor III

Hi @Debayan Thank you for your reply.
However, the answer I am looking for is : how to print/get a more meaningful name of the jobs when running multiple notebooks parallelly using dbutils.notebook.run from a parent notebook.

Now in the parent notebook console something like this appears: (in case I am starting 2 notebook run from the parent NB)

• Notebook job #211371132480519
  • Notebook job #2113711324805120

I am expecting something like below:

• <path_to_nb1> or name of notebook1
  • <path_to_nb2> or name of notebook2

+1, I'd like to know this as well.

Guess we'll just have to play around and see what we can do...