cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to import a function to another notebook?

tramtran
New Contributor III

Could you please provide guidance on the correct way to dynamically import a Python module from a user-specific path in Databricks Repos? Any advice on resolving the ModuleNotFoundError would be greatly appreciated.

udf_check_table_exists notebook:

from pyspark.sql.utils import AnalysisException
import os
import sys

def table_exists(table_name):
    try:
        spark.table(table_name)
        return True
    except AnalysisException:
        return False

Error ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'udf_check_table_exists' with another notebook:
import os
import sys
sys.path.append(os.path.abspath('/Workspace/Repos/[my repo]/dw/common_helper'))

from udf_check_table_exists import table_exists

Thank you for your assistance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

tramtran
New Contributor III

It works for me now 🙂 by refer this solution: 

[Errno 95] Operation not supported · Issue #113823 · MicrosoftDocs/azure-docs · GitHub

creating a "file" instead of a "notebook" and moving the code from the notebook into the file, I was able to use the "import" statement

my import code:

import sys
sys.path.append("/Workspace/Shared/")

from test_import_func import table_exists

print(table_exists('mytable',spark))

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Hkesharwani
Contributor II

Hi,
There are two ways to import functions from other notebook:

1. %run ../notebook path : This command will run the entire notebook and the function along with all the variable names will be imported. [This function should ideally be used to import the functions from another notebook, if another notebook only contains function definition]
  2. The second method to import function is for repos: In  repos we can easily  import  static .py files.
    From folder name import function.
    Refer to this documentation for more detail answer: https://www.databricks.com/blog/2021/10/07/databricks-repos-is-now-generally-available.html
Harshit Kesharwani
Self-taught Data Engineer | Seeking Remote Full-time Opportunities

tramtran
New Contributor III

Thanks @Hkesharwani for your replying,

As DLT doesn't support the magic command %run, that's why I'm trying the import function way

my layout like this:

tramtran_0-1718612237964.png

other notebook:

import os
import sys
sys.path.append(os.path.abspath('/Workspace/Repos/[my repo]/dw/common_helper'))

from udf_check_table_exists import table_exists

But it always returns ModuleNotFoundError  error

jacovangelder
Contributor III

Hey @tramtran,

I didn't try with repos, but it works with a Workspace path the following way (we're doing it like this so I validated it for you). I guess since Repos are also inside /Workspace, it will work the same way. 

Lets use the default /Workspace/Shared folder for this example.

1. Add the .py file with your table_exists function to the /Workspace/Shared folder. Lets call the file function_file.py for this example. 
2. Create an __init__.py file in this/Workspace/Shared directory as well. So Databricks knows this is a package index. 
3. In the notebook you want to import the function from the .py file, add this:

import sys
sys.path.append("/Workspace/Shared")

then import the function like this:

from function_file import table_exists

Hope this helps, good luck! 

tramtran
New Contributor III

Thanks @jacovangelder,

I did the same as your suggestion, but another error appeared:

OSError: [Errno 95] Operation not supported: '/Workspace/Shared/function_file.py'.

Have you faced this issue before?

I haven't, have you done exactly the steps outlined? It looks like perhaps you're not allowed to read form the shared location? Not 100% sure. 

tramtran
New Contributor III

It works for me now 🙂 by refer this solution: 

[Errno 95] Operation not supported · Issue #113823 · MicrosoftDocs/azure-docs · GitHub

creating a "file" instead of a "notebook" and moving the code from the notebook into the file, I was able to use the "import" statement

my import code:

import sys
sys.path.append("/Workspace/Shared/")

from test_import_func import table_exists

print(table_exists('mytable',spark))

tramtran
New Contributor III

Thank you all again

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!