Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to import a Lakeview Dashboard programmatically (API or CLI)?

Gutek
New Contributor II

I'm trying to import a Lakeview Dashboard that I've originally exported through the CLI (version 0.213.0). The exported file has extension .lvdash.json and is a single line json file.

I can't get it to work, I tried this command:

databricks workspace import /Users/my@user.com/my_first_lakeview_dashboard.lvdash.json --profile prd --file dashboard.json

but I get: "Error: The zip file may not be valid or may be an unsupported version. Hint: Objects imported using format=SOURCE are expected to be zip encoded databricks source notebook(s) by default. Please specify a language using the --language flag if you are trying to import a single uncompressed notebook"

There is a language flag but the only options available are: [PYTHON, R, SCALA, SQL].

There is json flag but it's only for providing the request in JSON format.

There is no mention of Lakeview dashboards in this API. Is this even supported? Or do I have the syntax wrong? The Lakeview API only supports publishing.

1 REPLY 1

miranda_luna_db
Contributor II
Contributor II

Thanks for flagging. There should be enhanced API documentation specific to Lakeview in the next week or two (PR is in review). Keep an eye out for a page called "Use the Lakeview API and Workspace API to create and manage Lakeview dashboards."

Currently, there is API support for Lakeview dashboard:

• Export/Import (via workspace APIs)
  • List (via workspace APIs)
  • Get Status (via workspace APIs)
  • Publish

Additional areas are under development.

For a bit more information on Lakeview dashboard export/import via API specifically....

Exporting a dashboard

If we want to export the contents of mydashboard.lvdash.json, we can use the Workspace Export API to do so.

GET /api/2.0/workspace/export

Query parameters: 
{
	"path": "/Users/my@user.com/examples/mydashboard.lvdash.json",
	"direct_download": true
}

Response:
{
	"pages": [
		{
			"name": "7db2d3cf",
			"displayName": "New Page"
		}
	]
}

This response shows the contents of a minimal dashboard definition which is blank. 

Note that the file name without extension is what appears as the name of the dashboard in the Workspace (mydashboard.lvdash.json). If the direct_download property is left out of the request or is set to false, the response will include the base64 encoded version of the json string. We will use this later for the import request.

GET /api/2.0/workspace/export

Query parameters: 
{
	"path": "/Users/my@user.com/examples/mydashboard.lvdash.json",
	"direct_download": false
}

Response:
{
	"content": "eyJwYWdlcyI6W3sibmFtZSI6IjdkYjJkM2NmIiwiZGlzcGxheU5hbWUiOiJOZXcgUGFnZSJ9XX0=",
	"file_type": "lvdash.json"
}

Importing a dashboard

If we want to import another dashboard into the workspace using the same contents as mydashboard.lvdash.json, we can do so by using the Workspace Import API. For the import to be properly recognized as a Lakeview dashboard, a few important parameters must be set:

• "format": "AUTO" - this setting will allow the system to automatically detect the asset type.
  • "path": needs the file path to end in ".lvdash.json". This in conjunction with the format will mean the content will attempt to import as a Lakeview dashboard.

If these settings are not configured properly, the import might succeed but the dashboard would be treated like a normal file.

POST /api/2.0/workspace/import

Request body parameters:
{
	"path": "/Users/my@user.com/examples/myseconddashboard.lvdash.json",
	"content": "eyJwYWdlcyI6W3sibmFtZSI6IjdkYjJkM2NmIiwiZGlzcGxheU5hbWUiOiJOZXcgUGFnZSJ9XX0=",
	"format": "AUTO"
}

Response:
{}

If we were to immediately issue the same API request, we would get an error:

{
	"error_code": "RESOURCE_ALREADY_EXISTS",
	"message": "Path (/Users/my@user.com/examples/myseconddashboard.lvdash.json) already exists."
}

In order to overwrite the contents of an existing dashboard in place, the "overwrite" property can be set:

POST /api/2.0/workspace/import

Request body parameters:
{
	"path": "/Users/my@user.com/examples/myseconddashboard.lvdash.json",
	"format": "AUTO",
	"overwrite": true
}

Response:
{}
Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.