Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is catalog a feature in the community version?

THIAM_HUATTAN
Valued Contributor
%sql
create catalog if not exists catalog1

I tried above, but it gives me error as below:

com.databricks.backend.common.rpc.DatabricksExceptions$SQLExecutionException: org.apache.spark.sql.AnalysisException: Catalog namespace is not supported.

at com.databricks.sql.managedcatalog.ManagedCatalogErrors$.catalogNamespaceNotSupportException(ManagedCatalogErrors.scala:40)

at com.databricks.sql.managedcatalog.ExceptionManagedCatalog.createCatalog(ExceptionManagedCatalog.scala:60)

at com.databricks.sql.managedcatalog.ManagedCatalogSessionCatalog.createCatalog(ManagedCatalogSessionCatalog.scala:357)

at com.databricks.sql.managedcatalog.command.CreateCatalogCommand.run(CatalogCommands.scala:45)

at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.command.ExecutedCommandExec.sideEffectResult$lzycompute(commands.scala:80)

at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.command.ExecutedCommandExec.sideEffectResult(commands.scala:78)

at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.command.ExecutedCommandExec.executeCollect(commands.scala:89)

at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.QueryExecution$$anonfun$$nestedInanonfun$eagerlyExecuteCommands$1$1.$anonfun$applyOrElse$1(QueryExecution.scala:160)

at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.SQLExecution$.$anonfun$withCustomExecutionEnv$8(SQLExecution.scala:239)

at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.SQLExecution$.withSQLConfPropagated(SQLExecution.scala:386)

at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.SQLExecution$.$anonfun$withCustomExecutionEnv$1(SQLExecution.scala:186)

at org.apache.spark.sql.SparkSession.withActive(SparkSession.scala:968)

at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.SQLExecution$.withCustomExecutionEnv(SQLExecution.scala:141)

at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.SQLExecution$.withNewExecutionId(SQLExecution.scala:336)

at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.QueryExecution$$anonfun$$nestedInanonfun$eagerlyExecuteCommands$1$1.applyOrElse(QueryExecution.scala:160)

at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.QueryExecution$$anonfun$$nestedInanonfun$eagerlyExecuteCommands$1$1.applyOrElse(QueryExecution.scala:156)

at org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.trees.TreeNode.$anonfun$transformDownWithPruning$1(TreeNode.scala:575)

at org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.trees.CurrentOrigin$.withOrigin(TreeNode.scala:167)

at org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.trees.TreeNode.transformDownWithPruning(TreeNode.scala:575)

at org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.plans.logical.LogicalPlan.org$apache$spark$sql$catalyst$plans$logical$AnalysisHelper$$super$transformDownWithPruning(LogicalPlan.scala:30)

at org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.plans.logical.AnalysisHelper.transformDownWithPruning(AnalysisHelper.scala:268)

at org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.plans.logical.AnalysisHelper.transformDownWithPruning$(AnalysisHelper.scala:264)

at org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.plans.logical.LogicalPlan.transformDownWithPruning(LogicalPlan.scala:30)

at org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.plans.logical.LogicalPlan.transformDownWithPruning(LogicalPlan.scala:30)

at org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.trees.TreeNode.transformDown(TreeNode.scala:551)

at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.QueryExecution.$anonfun$eagerlyExecuteCommands$1(QueryExecution.scala:156)

6 REPLIES 6

Sascha_Vetter
New Contributor II
New Contributor II

Please check that your cluster (compute) works for Unity Catalog. See the screenshot and documentation for details.

Cluster_ UC enabled

@Sascha Vetter​ I am not seeing any option to enable Unity Catalog in Azure Databricks.

Configuration:

Databricks runtime version: 10.4 LTS (includes Apache Spark 3.2.1, Scala 2.12)

Standard_DS3_v2 14GB, 4 core is used.

Access mode: No Isolation shared.

What configuration I need to set to enable Unity Catalog?

Setting up the runtime to Runtime 11.2 is not working for me.

Are the requirements for Unity Catalog fulfilled? UC is available for "Premium plan or above" only and the account admin has to enable it.

BradSheridan
Valued Contributor

For me, selecting Runtime 11.1 did not work (i.e. 'unity catalog' didn't show up on the right-hand side under Summary). But when I selected Runtime 11.2, it popped up. Going to start playing with it now

I changed to 11.2 now in datafactory, that also worked

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @THIAM HUAT TAN​​, It would mean a lot if you could select the "Best Answer" to help others find the correct answer faster.

This makes that answer appear right after the question, so it's easier to find within a thread.

It also helps us mark the question as answered so we can have more eyes helping others with unanswered questions.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.