Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum Posts

AP
by New Contributor III
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos

How can we connect to the databricks managed metastore

Hi, I am trying to take advantage of the treasure trove of the information that metastore contains and take some actions to improve performance. In my case, the metastore is managed by databricks, we don't use external metastore.How can I connect to ...

• 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
Latest Reply
Prabakar
Esteemed Contributor III
  • 2 kudos

@AKSHAY PALLERLA​ to get the jdbc/odbc information you can get it from the cluster configuration. In the cluster configuration page, under advanced options, you have JDBC/ODBC tab. Click on that tab and it should give you the details you are looking ...

• 2 kudos
1 More Replies
ThomasKastl
by Contributor
  • 6 replies
  • 5 kudos

Resolved! Databricks runs cell, but stops output and hangs afterwards.

tl;dr: A cell that executes purely on the head node stops printed output during execution, but output still shows up in the cluster logs. After execution of the cell, Databricks does not notice the cell is finished and gets stuck. When trying to canc...

• 6 replies
  • 5 kudos
Latest Reply
Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III
  • 5 kudos

As that library work on pandas problem can be that it doesn't support pandas on spark. On the local version, you probably use non-distributed pandas. You can check behavior by switching between:import pandas as pd import pyspark.pandas as pd

• 5 kudos
5 More Replies
by New Contributor III
  • 1 replies
  • 1 kudos

Resolved! Mounting of S3 bucket via Terraform is frequently timing out

Summary of the problemWhen mounting an S3 bucket via Terraform the creation process is frequently timing out (running beyond 10 minutes). When I check the Log4j logs in the GP cluster I see the following error message repeated:```22/07/26 05:54:43 ER...

• 1 replies
  • 1 kudos
Latest Reply
New Contributor III
  • 1 kudos

Solved. See here: https://github.com/databricks/terraform-provider-databricks/issues/1500

• 1 kudos
dataAllMyLife
by New Contributor
  • 1 replies
  • 0 kudos

JDBC Connection closes between 'stmt.execute( ... ) and stmt.executeQuery( ... )

I'm running a Java application that registers a CSV table with HIVE and then checks the number of rows imported. Its done in several steps.:Statement stmt = con.createStatement();....stmt.execute( "CREATE TABLE ( <definition> < > );.....ResultSet rs...

• 1 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
Noopur_Nigam
Valued Contributor II
  • 0 kudos

@Reto Matter​  Are you running a jar job or using dbconnect to run java code? Please provide how are you trying to make a connection and full exception stack trace.

• 0 kudos
by New Contributor III
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos

Resolved! Making py connector to raise an error for wrong SQL when asking to plan a query

Hey all,My aim is to validate a given SQL string without actually running it.I thought I could use the `EXPLAIN` statement to do so.So I tried using the `databricks-sql-connector` for python to explain a query, and so determine whether it's valid or ...

• 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
Latest Reply
Kaniz
Community Manager
  • 2 kudos

Hi @Nativ Issac​, We haven’t heard from you on the last response from @Hubert Dudek​  , and I was checking back to see if his suggestions helped you. Or else, If you have any solution, please do share that with the community as it can be helpful to o...

• 2 kudos
3 More Replies
jayallenmn
by New Contributor III
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos

Resolved! Couple of Delta Lake questions

Hey guys,We're considering Delta Lake as the storage for our project and have a couple questions. The first one is what's the pricing for Delta Lake - can't seem to find a page that says x amount costs y.The second question is more technical - if we...

• 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
Latest Reply
-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III
  • 3 kudos

delta lake itself is free. It is a file format. But you will have to pay for storage and compute of course.If you want to use Databricks with delta lake, it will not be free unless you use the community edition.Depending on what you are planning to...

• 3 kudos
3 More Replies
karthikM
by New Contributor
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudos

Delta Live Tables

is DLT supported for Scala? Any reference implementations or wikis to get started?

• 3 replies
  • 1 kudos
Latest Reply
Kaniz
Community Manager
  • 1 kudos

Hi @Karthik Munipalle​, Delta Live Tables queries can be implemented in Python or SQL.Here are few articles best explaining about DLT. Please have a look.https://docs.databricks.com/data-engineering/delta-live-tables/index.htmlhttps://databricks.com/...

• 1 kudos
2 More Replies
Daps022
by New Contributor
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
Latest Reply
Kaniz
Community Manager
  • 2 kudos

Hi @Dhaval Patel​, We haven’t heard from you on the last response from @Ralph David Lagos​ , and I was checking back to see if his suggestions helped you. Or else, If you have any solution, please share it with the community as it can be helpful to o...

• 2 kudos
3 More Replies
Yagao
by New Contributor
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos

How to do python within sql query in Databricks ?

Can anyone show me one use case how to do python within sql query ?

• 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
Latest Reply
tomasz
New Contributor III
  • 2 kudos

To run Python within a SQL query you have to first define a Python function and then register it as a UDF. Once that is done you are able to call that UDF within a SQL query. Please take a look at this documentation here:https://docs.databricks.com/s...

• 2 kudos
4 More Replies
Komal7
by New Contributor
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
jose_gonzalez
  • 0 kudos

Hi @Komal Gyanani​,AQE was a major improvement added to Spark 3.0. It was added since Databricks runtime 7.3 LT (Spark 3.0) https://docs.databricks.com/release-notes/runtime/releases.html and here is docs on AQE https://docs.databricks.com/spark/late...

• 0 kudos
1 More Replies
Marcosan
by New Contributor II
  • 3 replies
  • 4 kudos

What’s the best way to pass dependency versions dynamically to a cluster

I am using init scripts and would like to be able to control the version of a component that we release internally and frequently. We are now manually updating a dbfs requirement.txt file but I think that this problem may have been encountered befor...

• 3 replies
  • 4 kudos
Latest Reply
Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III
  • 4 kudos

You can programmatically create cluster templates in JSON files and include config JSON files with libraries needed. Cluster deployment in that scenario needs to be controlled via API https://docs.databricks.com/dev-tools/api/latest/clusters.html

• 4 kudos
2 More Replies
Edel
by New Contributor II
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos

Have you compared the performance between ADWC and Delta Lake for data warehousing?

Just want to know if you have a benchmark or some tests comparing Oracle ADWC vs Delta lake for data warehousing

• 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
Latest Reply
Kaniz
Community Manager
  • 2 kudos

Hi @Edelweiss Kammermann​, Check these article out for a comparison.https://www.trustradius.com/compare-products/databricks-lakehouse-platform-vs-oracle-autonomous-data-warehouse

• 2 kudos
1 More Replies
HowardZ
by New Contributor
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos

Resolved! How do I create an athena table (instead of hive table) in databricks?

My dashboard uses Athena as data source for its availability (I don't need to fire up the cluster and manually refresh the data), but it requires me to create the tables manually. Wondering if there is a similar method like the .saveAsTable() to crea...

• 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
Latest Reply
Kaniz
Community Manager
  • 0 kudos

Hi @Howard Zhang​, Here's a fantastic article for your use case. Please have a read.

• 0 kudos
1 More Replies
avinash_goje
by New Contributor II
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos

How to send metrics from GCP Databricks to Grafana Cloud through Prometheus?

While connecting the Databricks and Grafana, I have gone through the following approach.Install Grafna Agent in Databrics Clusters from Databricks console --> Not working since the system is not booted with systemd as init systemSince Spark 3 has Pro...

• 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
Latest Reply
Kaniz
Community Manager
  • 2 kudos

Hi @Avinash Goje​, We haven’t heard from you on the last response from @Hubert Dudek​ , and I was checking back to see if his suggestions helped you. Or else, If you have any solution, please do share that with the community as it can be helpful to o...

• 2 kudos
2 More Replies
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors