Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pyspark operations slowness in CLuster 14.3LTS as compared to 13.3 LTS

anish2102
New Contributor II

In my notebook, i am performing few join operations which are taking more than 30s in cluster 14.3 LTS where same operation is taking less than 4s in 13.3 LTS cluster. Can someone help me how can i optimize pyspark operations like joins and withColumn?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

anish2102
New Contributor II

I have found the issue. It was actually with code where  dataframe was being referred multiple times in withcolumn and join operations in form dataframe['col_name'] which is creating more than 20 spark jobs and hence causing degradation in performance of notebook. If i refer column using col() function in both join and withcolumn hen it is working fast compared to previous one. Also it is crating 1 or 2 spark job only.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

jose_gonzalez

check the physical query plan for both, DBR 14.3 and 13.3 to compare if these values are different. If they are, then check the Spark UI to identify where did it changed

Lakshay
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Are you comparing the performance against same dataset?

anish2102
New Contributor II

I have found the issue. It was actually with code where  dataframe was being referred multiple times in withcolumn and join operations in form dataframe['col_name'] which is creating more than 20 spark jobs and hence causing degradation in performance of notebook. If i refer column using col() function in both join and withcolumn hen it is working fast compared to previous one. Also it is crating 1 or 2 spark job only.

Lakshay
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for sharing the analysis

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.