Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is ZORDER required after table overwrite?

numersoz
New Contributor III

Hi,

After appending new values to a delta table, I need to delete duplicate rows.

After deleting duplicate rows using PySpark, I overwrite the table (keeping the schema).

My question is, do I have to do ZORDER again?

Another question, is there another way to drop duplicates? I tried drop duplicates using SQL with CTE but that didn't work. (Error: Delete is only supported with v2 tables.)

# Append new data:
data.write.mode("append").format("delta").saveAsTable("table_name")

# Read table:
df = spark.sql(f"SELECT * FROM {table_name}")
# Drop Duplicates:
df = df.dropDuplicates(["col1", "col2"])
# Re-write data:
df.write.format("delta").mode("overwrite").option("overwriteSchema", "false").saveAsTable(f"{table_name}")

5 REPLIES 5

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

Z-Ordering is not triggered by auto-optimize. So you will have to specifically run it.

A way to avoid dups is to use merge instead of append. But it is possible that the runtime will be bigger than the append + dropdups.

numersoz
New Contributor III

@Werner Stinckens​ Thank you!

I am triggering Z-Order after table is created. But to be sure, if it is it required to re-do Z-Order after doing an overwrite to Delta Table (with schema overwrite set to false).

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

Z-ordering is never required, that also counts if you overwrite a z-ordered table.

The only thing that will happen is that the new data which is written is not z-ordered.

yogu
Honored Contributor III

the best way to avoid duplicates is the merge statements.

https://docs.databricks.com/sql/language-manual/delta-merge-into.html

DeepakMakwana74
New Contributor III

Hii @Nurettin Ersoz​ 

try to use incremental load of data so it will avoid duplicate and you can use full load once if you have updation in your data

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.