cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Options to access files in the community edition

adihc
Visitor

As of now DBFS option is disabled in the Databricks community edition. 

What are the other ways to use file in the Databricks notebooks for learning? When I go to catalog it show default option only with the AWS S3. 

Is it the only option to access the files in the community edition now? For my learning I want to upload few types of file. Ex: CSV, JSON, Parquet etc... 

6 REPLIES 6

gchandra
Databricks Employee
Databricks Employee

The workaround will be to Mount the S3 bucket and use that as your source.

access_key = ""
secret_key = ""
encoded_secret_key = secret_key.replace("/""%2F")

aws_bucket_name = "yourawsbucketname/"
mount_name = "youraliasmountname"

# #dbutils.fs.unmountf"/mnt/{mount_name}")
dbutils.fs.mount(f"s3a://{access_key}:{encoded_secret_key}@{aws_bucket_name}"f"/mnt/{mount_name}")

After mounting
goto next cell %fs ls /mnt/youraliasmountname

~

Any info on when the DBFS local file option will be back? It was the only option to keep studying without a paywall for me. Aprecciate your help.

gchandra
Databricks Employee
Databricks Employee

Signup for AWS Free https://aws.amazon.com/free/

You can use S3 buckets with IAM policies and use them with Databricks.

This is a good skill to have apart from using Databricks.

~

Unfortunately, the AWS Free requires Billing (cr***t card) information to proceed with the account, which I can't provide, since I don't have one. The DBFS option was working just fine a few days ago, do you anticipate this option coming back in the future? I'm sure it will help lots of other students.

adihc
Visitor

Thanks for the answer @gchen. Apart from S3, there is no other option available in the community edition now?

gchandra
Databricks Employee
Databricks Employee

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you wonโ€™t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isnโ€™t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group