Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to UC. Parent external location for path `s3://____` does not exist"...but it does?

colinsorensen
New Contributor III

Topic. I am trying to upgrade some external tables in our hive metastore to the unity catalog. I used the upgrade functionality in the UI, as well as its provided SQL:

CREATE TABLE `unity_catalog`.`default`.`table` LIKE `hive_metastore`.`schema`.`table` COPY LOCATION;

ALTER TABLE `hive_metastore`.`schema`.`table` SET TBLPROPERTIES ('upgraded_to' = '`unity_catalog`.`default`.`table`', 'comment' = 'This table is deprecated. Please update to use `unity_catalog`.`default`.`table` instead of `hive_metastore`.`schema`.`table`');

But I get this error:

[RequestId=fe8c176e-a7d4-4639-bd7f-83fafca14131 ErrorClass=EXTERNAL_LOCATION_DOES_NOT_EXIST] parent external location for path `s3://_______` does not exist."

But it most definitely exists + the s3 bucket is mounted, so I'm not sure what it's even looking for the raw s3 location. Shouldn't it be looking for dbfs://mnt/________?? 

Would love any suggestions, thank you!

1 REPLY 1

colinsorensen
New Contributor III

When I have tried to edit the location to include the dbfs component (

CREATE TABLE`unity_catalog`.`default`.`table`LIKE`hive_metastore`.`schema`.`table` LOCATION 'dbfs:/mnt/foobarbaz')

I get a new error:

"[UPGRADE_NOT_SUPPORTED.UNSUPPORTED_FILE_SCHEME] Table is not eligible for upgrade from Hive Metastore to Unity Catalog. Reason: Unsupported file system scheme dbfs."

Similar error when you take out the dbfs stuff. Thank you!

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.