cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Value of SQL variable in IF statement using Spark SQL

RicardoS
New Contributor II

Hi there,

I am new to Spark SQL and would like to know if it possible to reproduce the below T-SQL query in Databricks. This is a sample query, but I want to determine if a query needs to be executed or not.

DECLARE
      @VariableA AS INT
,     @VariableB AS INT;

SELECT @VariableA = COUNT(*)
FROM [xxx].[TableExample]

SELECT @VariableB = COUNT(*) + 1
FROM [xxx].[TableExample]

IF (@VariableA = @VariableB)
BEGIN
      PRINT 'Equal'
END
ELSE
BEGIN
      PRINT 'Not equal'
END

I want to use an IF statement to determine it. I already know how to set a variable using a SELECT statement:

SET VariableA = SELECT COUNT(*) FROM [xxx].[TableExample];
SET VariableB = SELECT COUNT(*) + 1 FROM [xxx].[TableExample];

Next I want to use VariableA and VariableB in an IF statement:

IF (${VariableA} = ${VariableB}, 'Equal', 'Not equal');

This is not working, because underwater this expression writes down the full SELECT statements of both variables instead of the results (numbers) to compare. When I write down only ${VariableA}; it gives me the correct result (number).

How can I make this work in the IF statement?

So to be clear, no PySpark solution, but SQL (Spark). Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2

Suman1985
New Contributor II

Hello ,  I read your question I just tell you that if you try following **bleep** , 

In Databricks, you can achieve similar conditional logic using Spark SQL. However, Spark SQL doesn't directly support variable assignment and manipulation in the same way as T-SQL. Instead, you would typically achieve your goal using DataFrames or SQL expressions. Here's how you can reproduce the logic you provided using Spark SQL:

-- Load the table as a DataFrame
val df = **bleep**.TableExample")

-- Calculate counts using DataFrames
val variableA = df.count()
val variableB = df.count() + 1

-- Use CASE WHEN for conditional logic
val result = spark.sql(
s"""
SELECT CASE WHEN $variableA = $variableB THEN 'Equal' ELSE 'Not equal' END AS result
"""
)

result.show()

****bleep** in a DataFrame.

Please note that Spark SQL does not directly support the use of variables like T-SQL does. Instead, you work with DataFrames and SQL expressions to achieve similar functionality. Myjdfaccount

I hope you like my answer Thank you i always try to give my best.

Best Regards,

RicardoS
New Contributor II

Hi there,

Thank you for your response.

Using DataFrames and SQL expressions can still be done in a Spark SQL type of Notebook or is this already PySpark?

Thank you in advance!

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.