Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

When I save a Spark dataframe using df.write.format("csv"), I end up with mulitple csv files. Why is this happening?

User16826992666
Valued Contributor

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

aladda
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

You get multiple files in a folder because spark writes each shuffle partition in-place out to a "part..." file to avoid network I/O. You can use coalesce to bring all the shuffles into a single partition and write it out to a single file but be mindful of the performance implications

df.coalesce(1)
   .write.format(csv)
   .option("header", "true")
   .save("singlefile.csv")

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

aladda
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

You get multiple files in a folder because spark writes each shuffle partition in-place out to a "part..." file to avoid network I/O. You can use coalesce to bring all the shuffles into a single partition and write it out to a single file but be mindful of the performance implications

df.coalesce(1)
   .write.format(csv)
   .option("header", "true")
   .save("singlefile.csv")

User16826994223
Honored Contributor III

Just use

df.coalesce(1).write.csv("File,path")

df.repartition(1).write.csv("file path)

When you are ready to write a DataFrame, first use Spark repartition() and coalesce() to merge data from all partitions into a single partition and then save it to a file. This still creates a directory and write a single part file inside a directory instead of multiple part files.

Both coalesce() and repartition() are Spark Transformation operations that shuffle the data from multiple partitions into a single partition. Use coalesce() as it performs better and uses lesser resources compared with repartition().

Note: You have to be very careful when using Spark coalesce() and repartition() methods on larger datasets as they are expensive operations and could throw OutOfMemory errors.

User16869510359
Esteemed Contributor

This is by design and working as expected. Spark writes the data distributedly.

use of coalesce (1) can help to generate one file, however this solution is not scalable for large data set as it involves bringing the data to one single task.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.