cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workflow parameter in sql not working

StevenW
New Contributor III

I'm using the following input parameters when running from a workflow:

wid_UnityCatalogName = dbutils.jobs.taskValues.get(taskKey="NB_XXX_Workflow_Parameters", key="p_UnityCatalogName", default="xx_lakehouse_dev")
        dbutils.widgets.text("UnityCatalogName", wid_UnityCatalogName)

wid_UnityCatalogBronzeJDESchema = dbutils.jobs.taskValues.get(taskKey="NB_XXX_Workflow_Parameters", key="p_UnityCatalogBronzeXXXSchema", default="bronze_xxx")
        dbutils.widgets.text("UnityCatalogBronzeJDESchema", wid_UnityCatalogBronzeJDESchema)

And then I run various SQL statements that use these parameters successfully.
On step 16 it fails..
create or replace temp view f0010_view as
select trim(b.ccco) as ccco
       ,trim(b.ccname) as ccname
       ,trim(b.cccrcd) as cccrcd
       , cast(b.CCDFYJ as Int) as CCDFYJ
       --,${UnityCatalogName}.${UnityCatalogBronzeJDESchema}.f_Convert_JDEJulian_ToDate(cast(b.CCDFYJ as Int)) as FISCAL_YEAR_START_DT
       ,${UnityCatalogName}.${UnityCatalogBronzeJDESchema}.f_Convert_JDEJulian_ToDate(cast(b.CCDFYJ as Int)) as FISCAL_YEAR_START_DT
       ,b.CCPNC as CCPNC

ERROR:
[PARSE_SYNTAX_ERROR] Syntax error at or near '.'.(line 7, pos 😎 == SQL == create or replace temp view f0010_view as select trim(b.ccco) as ccco ,trim(b.ccname) as ccname ,trim(b.cccrcd) as cccrcd , cast(b.CCDFYJ as Int) as CCDFYJ --,..f_Convert_XXXJulian_ToDate(cast(b.CCDFYJ as Int)) as FISCAL_YEAR_START_DT ,..f_Convert_JDEJulian_ToDate(cast(b.CCDFYJ as Int)) as FISCAL_YEAR_START_DT --------^^^ ,b.CCPNC as CCPNC ,b.CCCALD as CCCALD ,NOP.DESCRIPTION as NORMAL_NO_OF_PERIODS_DESC

The ",..f_Convert_XXXJulian_ToDate" is supposed to "xx_lakehouse_dev.bronze_xxx.f_Convert_XXXJulian_ToDate"

Steps 12, 13 & 14 all executed successfully with these same parameters.

Any idea what this madness is?

Thanks,

2 REPLIES 2

filipniziol
Contributor

Hi @StevenW ,

I see that you are using python noteboook and then the view is created in SQL.

1. If you are using %sql magic command then to use parameters you need to reference them like $parameter or :parameter (depending on the runtime).

filipniziol_0-1728401853970.png

2. If you are using spark.sql to run a query kept in string, then you need to remove $ and use standard string interpolation:

query = f"""
CREATE OR REPLACE TEMP VIEW f0010_view AS
SELECT
    TRIM(b.ccco) AS ccco,
    TRIM(b.ccname) AS ccname,
    TRIM(b.cccrcd) AS cccrcd,
    CAST(b.CCDFYJ AS INT) AS CCDFYJ,
    {wid_UnityCatalogName}.{wid_UnityCatalogBronzeJDESchema}.f_Convert_JDEJulian_ToDate(CAST(b.CCDFYJ AS INT)) AS FISCAL_YEAR_START_DT,
    b.CCPNC AS CCPNC
FROM some_table AS b
"""

StevenW
New Contributor III

Hi @filipnizio

Thanks .. yes, I'm using the %sql command. I used ${xx_lakehouse_dev} and $xx_lakehouse_dev .. for most of the sql in the same notebook, it works fine. Then "suddenly" it doesn't ..?

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group