cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Governance
Join discussions on data governance practices, compliance, and security within the Databricks Community. Exchange strategies and insights to ensure data integrity and regulatory compliance.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Delete and Recreate Metastore in Same Region

js54123875
New Contributor III

We have an existing metastore in a region. We would like to delete it (Create a Unity Catalog metastore - Azure Databricks | Microsoft Learn) and create a new metastore in that same region. Are there any issues that we should be aware of with creating a metastore in a region that previously had a metastore? Asking because I know it is possible to only have one metastore per region, and do not want to run into any conflicts as we take on this process.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

pvignesh92
Honored Contributor

Hi @Jennette Shepardโ€‹ Each metastore that you created is backed by the storage layer as well. So if you delete the metastore, please validate and clean up the Policies and storage files that has been used for the metastore. Then creating a new one with a different storage path should not be a problem in my understanding.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Jennette Shepardโ€‹ 

Hope everything is going great.

Just wanted to check in if you were able to resolve your issue. If yes, would you be happy to mark an answer as best so that other members can find the solution more quickly? If not, please tell us so we can help you. 

Cheers!

BapsDBC
New Contributor II

I have exactly the same query.

But before that, is it at all a good practice to delete the default metastore ? I am asking this because Databricks creates a lot of things on the Azure side like a storage account, access connector, managed identity, links to your workspaces etc. Many of them are deleted while you delete the metastore, but there are some residuals.

I tried this once. Then I had a lot of problem connecting to the Manage console with my Entra ID. Before that I had no problems whatsoever. The only thing I can relate to this issue, is deletion the metastore.

Rather, the approach to have a fresh metastore should be

• to delete all the catalogs within it
  • and then create fresh organised catalogs 

This is what we did, and everyone is happy. You can as well rename your existing metastore.

weca-theo
New Contributor II

How do you actually rename the metastore? I see no option to do it, even though I'm admin.

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you wonโ€™t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isnโ€™t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group