Data Governance
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing ADLS Gen 2 path (metastore root) in Unity Catalog Metastore

NadithK
New Contributor III

In my organization, we are using Databricks unity catalog and we have a metastore created for our region which holds all of our workspaces. When we created the metastore last year, we set a metastore root location for it (If I remember correctly, metastore root path was not optional at that time, I could be wrong)

With this setup, we have created many catalogs, external locations, user assignments in our 20+ workspaces. None of our catalogs use the metastore root path for managed tables. All of the catalogs have their own storage locations for managed tables. We want our admins to follow this practice of using separate storage paths for each catalog, but it is not enforced. They could make a mistake and use the metastore root for their catalogs.

Now we see the option to create a metastores without a root storage in unity catalog. This is ideal for us as this would now force admins to always define a separate storage path whenever they create a catalog.

But we are not sure on how to implement this in our existing metastore. Apparently we can't remove the root storage from the metastore now. We can delete the metastore, create a new one and then move all the workspaces into the new one. But not sure if this would break all user assignments we have done so far the existing catalogs, external locations, workspaces, etc.

Could anyone help us in finding a solution here.
Thanks in advance

1 REPLY 1

Wojciech_BUK
Contributor III

Hello,
What I did was that I isolated Root Storage from Workspaces (you can't reach storage from Network Perspective and Authentication Perspective) - it is ugly but it works.

What you could try is to do that via API (like update metastore to NULL storage root) - sometimes I was able to achieve more using API then UI (even not documented things ) .

I would avoid migrating entire metastore unless your entire UC is base on code (all Create statement for UC Obejcts) 

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.