cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Governance
Join discussions on data governance practices, compliance, and security within the Databricks Community. Exchange strategies and insights to ensure data integrity and regulatory compliance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade tables to Unity Catalog error (Azure)

J_M_W
Contributor

Hi all,

I have set up a Unity Catalog (UC), and I am attempting to "upgrade my Delta tables" in the hive_metastore to my new catalog.

I have followed the instructions here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/databricks/data-governance/unity-catalog/migrate

I have set up a Access Connector and configured external locations in the UC.

I am getting the following error when using the "Upgrade Wizard" - any ideas how to resolve this issue?

imageAs I understand it, when I click "Run the upgrade" the wizard runs this SQL query

-- Note: removed the names of the databases and tables for privacy
-- Upgrade hive_metastore.db.tblto cat.db.tbl
CREATE TABLE cat.db.tbl LIKE hive_metastore.db.tbl COPY LOCATION;
ALTER TABLE hive_metastore.db.tbl SET TBLPROPERTIES ('upgraded_to' = 'cat.db.tbl');

From this post on Stack Overflow it would seem that delta tables are not supported with the LIKE sql command.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

J_M_W
Contributor

FYI - this is now magically resolved. I'm guessing it was a temporary bug or something.​

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

J_M_W
Contributor

I am also getting this strange error when using the data explorer...

It looks like it using 4 name parts, not 3 ??

image.pngimage 

karthik_p
Esteemed Contributor

@James Winfield​ it should be 3 level namespaces, catalog name cannot be hive_metastore

eg:CREATE TABLE <catalog_name>.<schema_name>.<table_name>

J_M_W
Contributor

FYI - this is now magically resolved. I'm guessing it was a temporary bug or something.​