cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Databricks Community Champions
Experts dedicated to assisting community members by answering inquiries and producing high-quality content such as blogs, vlogs, and events. They consistently share and collaborate through their own platforms, always exuding enthusiasm and positivity.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sujitha
Community Manager
Community Manager

This month we have the pleasure of interviewing Aman Sehgal in our Community. He is a Data Engineer at Australian Red Cross Lifeblood. We are eager to delve into his experiences and insights in the realm of data engineering.

We presented him with a range of questions, and below, you will find his responses, expressed in his own words-

• Name: Aman Sehgal 🌟
  • Community nickname: @AmanSehgal 
  • Pronouns: He/Him
  • Company: Australian Red Cross Lifeblood
  • Job Title: Data Engineer

Can you provide a brief overview of your career journey leading up to your current role?

My journey in the realm of data engineering began with a strong research background at Monash University including a master’s degree and specialized training in distributed computing. It was then when I was introduced to big data and technologies around it. Moving from academics, I worked on major cloud migration projects and real time data analytics projects in retail, education and energy sector which accelerated my skills as a Data Engineer.

As of today, I’m working as Data Engineer at Australian Red Cross Lifeblood, using cutting edge technologies like Lakehouse and Generative AI.  I’m fortunate to be part of transformative projects that streamline business processes to uplift Lifeblood’s capabilities in data space.

I’m grateful to be part of a team that shares the same vision—a world where data-driven decisions lead to healthier, happier lives.

What do you enjoy most about your current job or role?

As a data professional in the health sciences field, I carry a profound sense of responsibility and embrace the opportunity of working on life-saving projects. 

In this dynamic field, data is our compass. We navigate through datasets and work toward improving the quality of our donor experience, collection center performance, manufacturing processes and keeping business ahead by enabling them in making data driven decisions.

I’m fortunate to collaborate with an exceptional team and together we embrace latest technologies – cloud solutions, real time processing, AI and ML. When you’re surrounded by passionate minds, every challenge becomes an opportunity.

If you had to describe yourself using three words, what would they be? How do you think your coworkers would describe you?

That’s a tough one. Maybe challenge-seeker, researcher and analytical

Have you had any mentors or significant influences in your professional life? If so, could you tell us about them?

In my professional career, I’ve had an opportunity to work with highly experienced and great colleagues who helped me at every level. Also, content from lots of researchers and tech bloggers have helped me in developing my skillset. 

To name, I would like to mention two researchers because of whom I’m in working in data industry: 

• My professor at Monash University, Dr. Asad Khan who introduced me to distributed computing in 2017. While working on a thesis I realised its potential and it shaped my career from there on.
  • Matei Zaharia – I started my thesis with his research paper on Spark. His work has played a pivotal role in data industry and has transformed the way we work with data.

When and why did you first start using Databricks?
I started using Databricks in 2019 at work for a cloud migration project. The platform has evolved a lot since then, and I find something new to learn every day.

Are there any Databricks features that you particularly enjoy or find indispensable in your work?
Delta live tables, Unity Catalog, Serverless SQL

Is there a Databricks feature you wish existed or would like to see in future updates?

• Serverless DLT
  • UI for unity catalog to monitor and manage access control
  • AI suggestions for code optimisation

When did you join the Databricks Community, and what motivated you to do so?

I joined the community over 18 months ago. Helping someone using my experience gives me a great sense of achievement and satisfaction. Probably this was the primary reason why I joined the community as I saw that with my experience I can help community members and save their time in getting a solution to a problem that is just killing their time.

What aspects of the Databricks Community do you find most valuable or enjoyable?
With over 100,000 members, there’s so much experience and knowledge sharing in the community, that you’re bound to learn or get a response to your questions. Members go out of their way to resolve issues and assist with great dedication. The level of support makes bricksters feel that they’re not alone, someone in the group will lend a helping hand. 

Outside of work, what is your favorite hobby or pastime?
Cooking, driving and plane spotting.
I’m also an active blood donor and I ensure that I keep continuing to do so.

Where do you envision yourself professionally in the next three years?
With GenAI on the rise, it’s difficult to predict next 3 years. But maybe I’ll be working as a coach with businesses to develop data and AI solutions. Or maybe I would have become a pilot, flying UAVs.

Social Media Handles
Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/aman-sehgal-403a098a/

Thank you for sharing your personal and professional journey with us. We appreciate the opportunity to learn from your experiences @AmanSehgal 😊🌟

Come, let's embark on a journey celebrating the experiences of our Community members. Explore the depths of Aman's data-driven odyssey and uncover a wellspring of inspiration. Your next source of motivation awaits with just a scroll! 🚀

3 Comments
sapote
New Contributor III

@AmanSehgal  Great to learn about your journey and the exciting work you are doing at Lifeblood. Kudos to you! All the best.

jias
New Contributor III

@AmanSehgal, Your journey is brilliant. Thanks for sharing and contributing to the community.

AmanSehgal
Honored Contributor III

Thank you @Sujitha for the opportunity 🙂