cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Get Started Discussions
Start your journey with Databricks by joining discussions on getting started guides, tutorials, and introductory topics. Connect with beginners and experts alike to kickstart your Databricks experience.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

bitmap_count() function's output is different in databricks compared to snowflake

vigneshp
New Contributor

I have found that the results of the bitmap_count() function output differs significantly between databricks and snowflake.

eg: snowflake returns a value of '1' for this code. "select bitmap_count(X'0001056c000000000000') "

vigneshp_1-1701992518337.png

while  Databricks returns a value of '7' . 

vigneshp_0-1701992493192.png

does anyone know the reason for this difference? Am I doing anything wrong here? This is part of a migration project. 

Similar to the bitmap_count() function , the bitmap_or_agg() function also works differently, it databricks it pads a lot of zeroes at the end.

1 REPLY 1

Ayushi_Suthar
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @vigneshp , Good Day! 

In Databricks, bitmap_count function returns the number of bits set in a BINARY string representing a bitmap. This function is typically used to count distinct values in combination with the bitmap_bucket_number() and the bitmap_construct_agg() functions.

For more details about this function, you can refer to this document : 

https://docs.databricks.com/en/sql/language-manual/functions/bitmap_count.html

Please let me know if this helps and leave a like if this information is useful, followups are appreciated.
Kudos
Ayushi

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!