Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get Started Discussions
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The base provider of Delta Sharing Catalog system does not exist.

Data_Analytics1
Contributor III

I have enabled system tables in Databricks by following the procedure mentioned here. The owner of the system catalog is System user. I cannot see the schemas or tables of this catalog. It is showing me the error: 

The base provider of Delta Sharing Catalog system does not exist. 

And when I tried to change the owner of this catalog, it gives me the message: 

System owned catalog can't be modified.

How I can access the log tables in system catalog?

2 REPLIES 2

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Data_Analytics1, System tables are a hosted analytical store of your account’s operational data, which can be used for historical observability across your account. System tables include data from all workspaces in your account but can only be accessed from a Databricks-enabled workspace.

To access the log tables in the system catalog, you must ensure the system tables are enabled.

You can do this using the Databricks CLI with the following command:

bash
curl -v -X PUT -H "Authorization: Bearer <your_token>" "https://<workspace>.databricks.com/api/2.0/unity-catalog/metastores/<your_metastore>/systemschemas/<your_schema>"

Replace <your_token><workspace><your_metastore>, and <your_schema> with your actual values. If the system schema is enabled successfully, result code 200 is returned.

If you are still facing issues, it could be due to the fact that the base provider of Delta Sharing Catalog system does not exist. This could mean that the underlying data source that the catalog is trying to access does not exist or is not accessible.

As for the error message "System owned catalog can't be modified", it suggests that the system catalog is owned by the system and cannot be modified by users.

If you continue to face issues, I would recommend reaching out to Databricks support for further assistance.

Data_Analytics1
Contributor III

I have already enabled all these schemas using the Databricks CLI command. After enabling, I was able to see all the tables and data inside these schemas. Then I disabled the all the schemas using the CLI command mentioned here. Now, even after re-enabling all the schemas, I can't see the schemas and the tables in system catalog. While executing the CLI command to enable all these schema, result code 200 is returned. But I can't see the schemas.

When I checked the status, it is saying "ENABLE_COMPLETED". But when I try to access the schema, it says "The base provider of Delta Sharing Catalog system does not exist." and I am not able to change the owner and grant the permission to users.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.