Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Functional Difference between managed and external tables UC

carlosjrestr
New Contributor III

Hi community,

โ€‹

Is there a summary or detail guidance on the functional differeโ€‹nce between managed and external tables in unity catalog? Looking at the documentation I can't find any specific functionality in databricks that is supported in managed tables that is not supported in external tables. Assuming I have external tables using delta format what capabilities I will not be able to use if I don't convert them to managed tables?

โ€‹

Thanks

โ€‹

CRโ€‹

3 REPLIES 3

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

afaik there are only performance differences.

managed tables should have some performance tweaks. But I haven't tested how much you gain.

I like to have control over my storage so I exclusively use external tables (we have other tools besides databricks that access our data).

And of course, drop table works differently on managed vs unmanaged tables.

Thanks. I wonder why we cannot access managed tables directly with non-databricks apps. Once you get the path to the table you need is just a matter of reading the delta file. Does @Adam Pavlackaโ€‹  do something to the underlying delta files that make this scenario not supported?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Carlos Restrepoโ€‹ 

Thank you for posting your question in our community! We are happy to assist you.

To help us provide you with the most accurate information, could you please take a moment to review the responses and select the one that best answers your question?

This will also help other community members who may have similar questions in the future. Thank you for your participation and let us know if you need any further assistance! 

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.