Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to calculate Percentile of column in a DataFrame in spark?

dheeraj
New Contributor II

I am trying to calculate percentile of a column in a DataFrame? I cant find any percentile_approx function in Spark aggregation functions. For e.g. in Hive we have percentile_approx and we can use it in the following way

hiveContext.sql("select percentile_approx("Open_Rate",0.10) from myTable); 

But I want to do it using Spark DataFrame for performance reasons.

Sample data set

|User ID|Open_Rate|
    ------------------- 
    |A1     |10.3     |     
    |B1     |4.04     |     
    |C1     |21.7     |     
    |D1     |18.6     | 

I want to find out how many users fall into 10 percentile or 20 percentile and so on. I want to do something like this

df.select($"id",Percentile($"Open_Rate")).show

3 REPLIES 3

dheeraj
New Contributor II

correction in the question above, i want to do something like this

df.select($"id",Percentile($"Open_Rate",0.1)).show

SiddSingal
New Contributor II

You could try to code your own version of this. It does not seem like this functionality is built into the Spark DataFrames. You may need to use the Window class in order to accomplish this. Here is a blog post with some details: https://databricks.com/blog/2015/07/15/introducing-window-functions-in-spark-sql.html

amandaphy
New Contributor II

You can try using df.registerTempTable("tmp_tbl") val newDF = sql(/ do something with tmp_tbl /)// and continue using newDF Learn More

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.