cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Python: Generate new dfs from a list of dataframes using for loop

Jack
New Contributor II

I have a list of dataframes (for this example 2) and want to apply a for-loop to the list of frames to generate 2 new dataframes.

To start, here is my starting dataframe called df_final:

df_longFirst, I create 2 dataframes: df2_b2c_fast, df2_b2b_fast:

for x in df_final['b2b_b2c_prod'].unique():
    locals()['df2_' + x ] = df_final[(df_final['b2b_b2c_prod'] == x ) ]

Second I calculate the correlation between ADV and pkg_yld:

df_corrs_fast_b2c=df2_b2c_fast.groupby(['bus_nm','id']).corr(method='spearman').unstack().iloc[:,1]
df_corrs_fast_b2b=df2_b2b_fast.groupby(['bus_nm','id']).corr(method='spearman').unstack().iloc[:,1]

Third I convert each to dataframes:

corrs_b2b_fast = (df2_b2b_fast[['adv', 'id']]
        .groupby('id')
        .corrwith(df1['pkg_yld'])
        .rename(columns={'adv' : 'correl'})
        .reset_index())     

corrs_b2c_fast = (df2_b2c_fast[['adv', 'id']]
        .groupby('id')
        .corrwith(df1['pkg_yld'])
        .rename(columns={'adv' : 'correl'})
        .reset_index())

Here is one of the 2 dataframes corrs_b2c_fast:

viewQuestion: I want to consolidate the steps where (1) I extract my 2 dataframes, (2) estimate the correlations and (3) convert to 2 dataframes using a for loop (corrs_b2b_fast, corrs_b2c_fast); I started below but got stuck:

df_list=[df2_b2b_fast, df2_b2c_fast]      # Subset of dfs

for x in df_list['b2b_b2c_prod']:  

locals()['corrs_' + x ] = df_list[(df_list['b2b_b2c_prod'] == x ) ]     # Create new 2 dfs from main df 'b2b_b2c_prod'
x= x.groupby(['bus_nm','id']).corr(method='spearman').unstack().iloc[:,1]  # calculate corr between pkg_yld and ADV 

# stuck here...lines needed to create dataframes corrs_b2b_fast, corrs_b2c_fast??

What's wrong?

1 REPLY 1

Aviral-Bhardwaj
Esteemed Contributor III

thanks

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!