Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I create a job for a notebook not in the /Users/ directory?

kpendergast
Contributor

I am setting up a job to to load data from S3 into Delta using Auto loader. I can do this fine in interactive mode. When trying to create a job in the UI. I can select the notebook in the root directory I created for the project within the create job UI however instead of it being "/abc/notebook" it uses "/Users/my_username_dir/notebook" and that doesn't exist. I have full admin privileges.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

User16844513407
New Contributor III

Hi @Ken Pendergast​, you are supposed to be able to reference any Notebook you have the right permissions on so it looks like you are running into a bug, can you please reach out to support or email me directly with your workspace ID? My email is jan@databricks.com. Sorry for the inconvenience.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @kpendergast! My name is Kaniz, and I'm the technical moderator here. Great to meet you, and thanks for your question! Let's see if your peers in the community have an answer to your question first. Or else I will get back to you soon. Thanks.

kpendergast
Contributor

Thanks @Kaniz Fatma​  if there is a best practice for how to structure projects that would also be helpful. It just seems strange to need to have files that run streaming jobs and other parts of a pipeline live inside user directories.

User16844513407
New Contributor III

Hi @Ken Pendergast​, you are supposed to be able to reference any Notebook you have the right permissions on so it looks like you are running into a bug, can you please reach out to support or email me directly with your workspace ID? My email is jan@databricks.com. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks for the feedback. I had reported this to my SA Kristin and seems like it has been resolved. I just tested creating a new job on a file not in a user folder and it didnt show me an error when trying to save the task. I was not even able to save a task pointing to a file not in a user's directory.

Thanks again for responding I can now move all the job files out of my user directory 😀

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.