Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PythonException: 'RuntimeError: The length of output in Scalar iterator pandas UDF should be the same with the input's; however, the length of output was 1 and the length of input was 2.'.

Ancil
Contributor II

I have pandas_udf, its working for 4 rows, but I tried with more than 4 rows getting below error.

PythonException: 'RuntimeError: The length of output in Scalar iterator pandas UDF should be the same with the input's; however, the length of output was 1 and the length of input was 2.'.

Please find below code

data =[{"inputData":"<html>Tanuj is older than Eina. Chetan is older than Tanuj. Eina is older than Chetan. If the first 2 statements are true, the 3rd statement is"},{"inputData":"<html>Pens cost more than pencils. Pens cost less than eraser. Erasers cost more than pencils and pens. If the first two statements are true, the third statement is"},{"inputData":"<html>If we have a tree of n nodes, how many edges will it have?"}, {"inputData":"<div>Which of the following data structures can handle updates and queries in log(n) time on an array?"}]
df = spark.createDataFrame(data)
# removing HTML tags from the input text
@pandas_udf(StringType())
def clean_html(raw_htmls: Iterator[pd.Series]) -> Iterator[pd.Series]:
    pd.set_option('display.max_colwidth', 10000)
    for raw_html in raw_htmls:
        cleanr_regx = re.compile("<.*?>|&([a-z0-9]+|#0-9{1,6}|#x[0-9a-f]{1,6});")
        cleantext = re.sub(cleanr_regx, " ", raw_html.to_string(index=False))
        cleantext = re.sub(" +", " ", cleantext)
        yield pd.Series(cleantext)
df = df.withColumn("Question",clean_html("inputData"))
display(df)

Its working fine. But if I add one more row to data, getting above mentioned error.

data =[{"inputData":"<div>Look at this series: 36, 34, 30, 28, 24, … What number should come next?"},{"inputData":"<html>Tanuj is older than Eina. Chetan is older than Tanuj. Eina is older than Chetan. If the first 2 statements are true, the 3rd statement is"},{"inputData":"<html>Pens cost more than pencils. Pens cost less than eraser. Erasers cost more than pencils and pens. If the first two statements are true, the third statement is"},{"inputData":"<html>If we have a tree of n nodes, how many edges will it have?"}, {"inputData":"<div>Which of the following data structures can handle updates and queries in log(n) time on an array?"}]

In my project am reading data from json file, there is also same issue, if its 1 row its working, but more than 1 am getting same ,

Any one please helps me, am stuck for a week with same error.

Cluster : 11.3 LTS (includes Apache Spark 3.3.0, Scala 2.12)

1 REPLY 1

Ancil
Contributor II

@Kaniz Fatma​  Can you please help me on pandas_udf ?

Above scenario I have used regular expressions, for that we have our spark method, but I have other pandas_udf have same issue.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.