cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Community Discussions
Connect with fellow community members to discuss general topics related to the Databricks platform, industry trends, and best practices. Share experiences, ask questions, and foster collaboration within the community.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Deleted the s3 bucket assocated with metastore

Jun_NN
New Contributor

I deleted the aws s3 bucket for the databricks metastore by mistake.

How to fix this? can I re-create the s3 bucket? Or can I delete the metastore (I don't have much data in it), and re-generate one? 

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Jun_NN , I understand that you accidentally deleted the AWS S3 bucket associated with your Databricks metastore. 

Letโ€™s explore the steps to resolve this situation:

Recreating the S3 Bucket:

• You can indeed re-create the S3 bucket. Follow these steps:
    1. Create a new S3 bucket in your AWS account with the same name or a similar name as the original bucket.
    2. Ensure that the bucket configuration (such as region, permissions, and IAM roles) matches the original one.
    3. Once the bucket is created, you can proceed to re-create the Databricks metastore and link it to this new bucket.

Re-generating the Metastore:

• If you donโ€™t have much data in the metastore, you can consider deleting the existing metastore and creating a fresh one:
    1. Delete the existing metastore from the Databricks console.
    2. Create a new S3 bucket (as mentioned in the first option) or use an existing one.
    3. Create a new Databricks metastore, ensuring that it is assigned to your workspace.
    4. Update any relevant configurations in your workspace to point to the new metastore.

Workspace Restart:

Remember to back up any critical data before making changes. If you encounter any further issues, feel free to ask for additional assistance! ๐Ÿ˜Š

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Jun_NN ,

Indeed, deleting the AWS S3 bucket for the Databricks metastore can be a nerve-wracking task. However, there are strategies to recover from such situations.

Letโ€™s explore some options:

1. Regenerate Metastore:

• If your metastore doesnโ€™t contain critical data, consider deleting it and allowing Databricks to regenerate it. Hereโ€™s how:
      • Navigate to your Databricks workspace.
      • Access the cluster associated with the metastore.
      • Choose โ€œEditโ€ to recreate the metastore.
  2. Recreate S3 Bucket:

• If youโ€™re comfortable, recreate the S3 bucket with the same name. Ensure that all configurations align correctly.

Remember to proceed with caution and assess the impact on your data and workflows. ๐Ÿ› ๏ธ๐Ÿ”

For more comprehensive disaster recovery strategies in Azure Databricks, including cross-regional so...official documentation.

Itโ€™s essential to have a robust plan in place, especially for cloud-native data analytics platforms like Azure Databricks. ๐ŸŒ๐Ÿ”’

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!