Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apparent bug with dbutils.fs.cp on S3 using DBR 13.3LTS

DManowitz-BAH
New Contributor II

If I use dbutils.fs.cp on a cluster running DBR 13.3LTS to try to copy an object on S3 from one prefix to another, I don't get the expected results.

For example, if I try the following command:

dbutils.fs.cp('s3://some-bucket/some/prefix/some_file.gz', 's3://some-bucket/other/prefix/')

I would expect the call to result in a copy of some_file.gz to be put into s3://some-bucket/other/prefix/, also named some_file.gz.  Instead, what I'm seeing as the result is a file named s3://some-bucket/other/prefix.

This does not match the behavior seen previously.

4 REPLIES 4

Debayan
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi, Do you see it in the S3 after copying? after copying can you also check ls and see in the notebook? It would be helpful if you also provide a screenshot? 

I see a resulting file in S3 after copying, but it has an incorrect name.

Lakshay
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @DManowitz-BAH , The correct syntax to use the dbutils.fs.cp command is to provide the file name in the destination path. Please check the document here:

https://docs.databricks.com/en/dev-tools/databricks-utils.html#cp-command-dbutilsfscp

The example in the documentation shows not only copying between filesystems, but also renaming at the same time.  In such a situation, I would expect to need to provide the new filename.

The example I have provided works as I expected it to when using Databricks Runtime 10.4LTS, but works the way I have described it when using DBR 13.3LTS.  Thus, it is either a new bug, or an expected change in behavior or fix of a previous bug that should be documented.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.