cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug: Shallow Clone `create or replace` causing [TABLE_OR_VIEW_NOT_FOUND]

stevenayers-bge
New Contributor III

I am having an issue where when I do a shallow clone using :

create or replace table `catalog_a_test`.`schema_a`.`table_a` shallow clone `catalog_a`.`schema_a`.`table_a`

I get:
[TABLE_OR_VIEW_NOT_FOUND] The table or view catalog_a_test.schema_a.table_a cannot be found. Verify the spelling and correctness of the schema and catalog. If you did not qualify the name with a schema, verify the current_schema() output, or qualify the name with the correct schema and catalog. To tolerate the error on drop use DROP VIEW IF EXISTS or DROP TABLE IF EXISTS. SQLSTATE: 42P01

As you can see it's throwing an error related to the new cloned table. The weird bit is, the command does create the table.
4 REPLIES 4

Omar_hamdan
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Steven
This is really a strange issue. First let's exclude some possible causes for this. We need to check the following:
- The permission to table A and Catalog B. take a look at the following link to check what permission is needed: https://docs.databricks.com/en/delta/clone-unity-catalog.html
- the cluster you are using to clone is a unity catalog enabled cluster.
- Just to make sure is the "Destination" Table not found or the "Source"
Hopefully by checking those we can figure out why this is happening. 

Hi Omar 👋

I checked those things out and everything seems to be in order. I also spun up a new warehouse and could reproduce the issue.

I was able to resolve the issue by downgrading our warehouse from the “Preview” Channel to “Current” Channel, which may mean there has been a bug introduced into the “Preview” Channel. 

The release notes for Databricks SQL release notes say that both channels use 2024.15, but maybe there’s been a minor version release in “Preview” channel that’s triggered the issue?

Hi Steven

Thanks for checking out all the recommended options. I tried to reproduce the error and was not successful. Using both channel preview and current I was able to create a shallow clone of a table. However the channel version for me is 2024.25.
So it might be a hiccup in the 2024.15 preview, but it is resolved in the 2024.25 which soon should be in your region. 
Thanks for flagging this up.

Hi @Omar_hamdan,

I'm now experiencing this error in both preview and current channels (2024.25). Is there a way I can rollback my SQL Warehouse Version until this is resolved?

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!