cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Change Default Parallelism ?

dat_77
New Contributor

HI
I attempted to parallelize my Spark read process by setting the default parallelism using spark.conf.set("spark.default.parallelism", "X"). However, despite setting this configuration, when I checked sc.defaultParallelism in my notebook, it displayed 64. Interestingly, the job still consisting each stage having the default 200 tasks. How can I further increase this parallelism where is the value 200 taking from? The source is a python list of s3 files and json formatted.

1 REPLY 1

irfan_elahi
New Contributor III

sc.defaultParallelism is based on the number of worker cores in the cluster. It can't be overridden. The reason you are seeing 200 tasks is because of spark.sql.shuffle.partitions (whose default value is 200). This determines the number of shuffle partitions when a shuffle is performed e.g. between stages. You can set it equal to sc.defaultParallelism if you want to increase parallelism in the shuffle tasks.

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you wonโ€™t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isnโ€™t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group