Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cloudformation error when launching Databricks in AWS

BradSheridan
Valued Contributor

I've seen many posts here in the Community as potential solutions to this error, but none seem to be a solution for us. We are trying to launch the 14 day free trial of Databricks from the AWS Marketplace and are getting the error below. Moreover, our partner manager at Databricks still hasn't replied to us, and neither have we received an answer when we emailed partners@databricks, so our hope is that someone here has the answer 🙂 Thanks!!

[ERROR] 2022-08-24T17:54:17.899Z ea746964-04dc-4796-9f5f-472f9b96b32d Exception: An error occurred (AccessDenied) when calling the CopyObject operation: Access Denied

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/var/task/index.py", line 42, in handler

copy_objects(source_bucket, dest_bucket, prefix, objects)

File "/var/task/index.py", line 17, in copy_objects

s3.copy_object(CopySource=copy_source, Bucket=dest_bucket,

File "/var/runtime/botocore/client.py", line 391, in _api_call

return self._make_api_call(operation_name, kwargs)

File "/var/runtime/botocore/client.py", line 719, in _make_api_call

raise error_class(parsed_response, operation_name)

botocore.exceptions.ClientError: An error occurred (AccessDenied) when calling the CopyObject operation: Access Denied

20 REPLIES 20

Hi again @Prabakar Ammeappin​ - I took a brief look this morning at some of the things the Cloudformation template spins up (VPC, Roles, Bucket) and didn't see any leftovers from the previous attempt, so although I didn't check for everything that gets spun up, I feel confident there are no remaining things. What I did find interesting this morning is that it appears I don't even have a subscription to Databricks through the AWS Marketplace any longer??? (see screenshot)

imageCould this potentially be the issue?

oh, and when I goto the AWS Marketplace to 'manage' my Databricks subscription, I see this "Subscription linking in-progress" message.

Prabakar
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III
The subscription shows the account is canceled. So yes its the cause.

ah ha...we're getting somewhere @Prabakar Ammeappin​ !! So when I click on the "Sign Up" link in the Databricks Admin console image above, I get this:

imageWhen I submit that form, I get:

imageSeeing as how I can login on the Databricks https://accounts.cloud.databricks.com/ site, I guess I need to 'contact our sales team'??

Prabakar
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes. It's better you check with the sales team to understand what is happening here.

BradSheridan
Valued Contributor

Here are some answers:

copyObject error - we were using a Databricks provided cloudformation template but this error goes away when we use the AWS provided template

createWorkspace error - we had subscribed>unsubscribed>resubscribed to Databricks via the AWS Marketplace. This cause our Databricks account to get 'locked' in a Cancelled status. We simply signed up again under a different email and the cloudformation template launched without an issue.

All good...hope this helps out!

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.