cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Enable serverless in Delta Live Tables in Azure Databricks?

jesonora
New Contributor II

I'm trying to create a serverless DLT, as far I understood is in Public Review as listed here, Azure Databricks regions - Azure Databricks | Microsoft Learn. I've created a workspace in North Europe, but I cannot see the feature in preview.

Could you help me?

3 REPLIES 3

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @jesonoraIt appears youโ€™re interested in serverless Delta Live Tables (DLT) in Azure Databricks.

Let me guide you through the process.

1. Serverless DLT Pipelines:

• Serverless DLT pipelines are currently in Public Preview. They allow you to run your Delta Live Tables pipelines without configuring and deploying infrastructure.
    • With serverless DLT pipelines, you can focus on implementing data ingestion and transformation, while Azure Databricks efficiently manages compute resources.
    • Key capabilities include:
      • Automatically optimized compute: It runs only when needed.
      • Reliable and fully managed compute resources.
      • Efficient dataset updates with incremental refresh for materialized views.
      • Faster startup for compute resources during pipeline updates.
    • Additionally, serverless DLT pipelines offer features like stream pipelining (improving utilization for streaming data workloads) and vertical autoscaling (allocating cost-efficient instance types).
    • To enable serverless DLT pipelines, ensure your workspace has Unity Catalog enabled and is in a serv...1.
  2. Tutorial:

• You can configure a Delta Live Tables pipeline from code in a Databricks notebook and run it by triggering a pipeline update. Check out this tutorial for step-by-step instructions.
  3. Enabling Serverless Mode:

Feel free to explore these resources, and let me know if you have any further questions! ๐Ÿ˜Š

jesonora
New Contributor II

Hi @Kaniz_Fatma,

Thanks for the quick response. I have checked my region is on Public Preview for DLT, North Europe. But I am not able to see the "Serverless" checkbox.

jesonora_0-1719766926071.png

Am I missing some detail?

Thanks!

Hi @jesonora

• Confirm that Unity Catalog is enabled for your workspace. You can check this by navigating to your Azure Databricks workspace settings.
  • If itโ€™s not enabled, youโ€™ll need to enable it to access serverless DLT pipelines.
  • You mentioned that your workspace is in North Europe, which is a serverless-enabled region. Thatโ€™s great!
  • However, sometimes changes take a little time to propagate. Please ensure that youโ€™ve waited a reasonable amount of time after creating your workspace in North Europe.
  • Verify that you have the necessary permissions to create serverless DLT pipelines. You should have at least Contributor or Owner access to the Azure Databricks workspace.

Let me know how it goes, and feel free to share any additional details. ๐Ÿš€๐Ÿ”

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you wonโ€™t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isnโ€™t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group