cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

read csv directly from url with pyspark

RantoB
Valued Contributor

I would like to load a csv file directly to a spark dataframe in Databricks. I tried the following code :

url = "https://opendata.reseaux-energies.fr/explore/dataset/eco2mix-national-tr/download/?format=csv&timezone=Europe/Berlin&lang=fr&use_labels_for_header=true&csv_separator=%3B"
from pyspark import SparkFiles
spark.sparkContext.addFile(url)
df = spark.read.csv(SparkFiles.get("eco2mix-national-tr.csv"), header=True, inferSchema= True)

and I got the following error :

Path does not exist: dbfs:/local_disk0/spark-c03e8325-0ab6-4c2e-bffb-c9d290283b31/userFiles-a507dd96-cc63-4e47-9b0f-44d2a940bb10/eco2mix-national-tr.csv

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

ok so I tested it myself, and I think I found the issue:

the addfile() will not put a file called 'eco2mix-national-tr.csv', but a file called 'download'.

You can check this by using the %sh magic command and then

ls "/local_disk0/spark-.../userFiles-/"

You will get a list of files, no eco2mix but a 'download' file.

To see the contents of the download file, you can do a cat command:

%sh

cat "/local_disk0/spark-.../userFiles-.../download"

You will see the contents.

Next you have to read it with spark.read.csv AND the file:// prefix.

So this makes:

url = "https://opendata.reseaux-energies.fr/explore/dataset/eco2mix-national-tr/download/?format=csv"
sc.addFile(url)

path  = SparkFiles.get('download')
df = spark.read.csv("file://" + path, header=True, inferSchema= True, sep = ";")

This gives:

It is always a good idea when working with local files to actually look at the directory in question and do a cat of the file in question.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

RantoB
Valued Contributor

I've already read this post and tried it but this was not working either :

Path does not exist: file:/local_disk0/spark-48fd5772-d1a9-40f2-a2f2-bcad38962ed6/userFiles-0298f7e7-105c-4c8d-a845-0975edd378a0/eco2mix-national-tr.csv

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

ok so I tested it myself, and I think I found the issue:

the addfile() will not put a file called 'eco2mix-national-tr.csv', but a file called 'download'.

You can check this by using the %sh magic command and then

ls "/local_disk0/spark-.../userFiles-/"

You will get a list of files, no eco2mix but a 'download' file.

To see the contents of the download file, you can do a cat command:

%sh

cat "/local_disk0/spark-.../userFiles-.../download"

You will see the contents.

Next you have to read it with spark.read.csv AND the file:// prefix.

So this makes:

url = "https://opendata.reseaux-energies.fr/explore/dataset/eco2mix-national-tr/download/?format=csv"
sc.addFile(url)

path  = SparkFiles.get('download')
df = spark.read.csv("file://" + path, header=True, inferSchema= True, sep = ";")

This gives:

It is always a good idea when working with local files to actually look at the directory in question and do a cat of the file in question.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thankyou @Werner Stinckens​ 

RantoB
Valued Contributor

Great, this is working. Thank you.

Piper_Wilson
New Contributor III

@Bertrand BURCKER​ - If @Werner Stinckens​ answered your question, would you mark his as the best answer? That will help others find the solution quickly.

User16752246494
Contributor

Hi ,

You can also use the following.

import org.apache.commons.io.IOUtils // jar will be already there in spark cluster no need to worry
import java.net.URL 

val urlfile=new URL("https://people.sc.fsu.edu/~jburkardt/data/csv/airtravel.csv")
  val testDummyCSV = IOUtils.toString(urlfile,"UTF-8").lines.toList.toDS()
  val testcsv = spark
                .read.option("header", true)
                .option("inferSchema", true)
                .csv(testDummyCSV)

display(testcsv)

MartinIsti
New Contributor III

I know it's a 2 years old thread but I needed to find a solution to this very thing today. I had one notebook using SparkContext

from pyspark.sql.functions import *
sc.addFile(url)

But according to the runtime 14 release notes: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-gb/azure/databricks/release-notes/runtime/14.0#breaking-changes sc will stop working. IOUtils hasn't been mentioned.

The current official way is:

I hope it helps.
Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!