cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tables disappear when I re-start a new cluster on Community Edition

Lizhi_Dong
New Contributor II

What would be the best plan for independent course creator?

Hi folks! I want to use databrick community edition as the platform to teach online courses. As you may know, for community edition, you need to create a new cluster when the old one terminates. I found out however tables created from the old cluster would disappear as well, so I have to re-create tables every time I start the cluster.

I wonder if anyone knows how to fix this problem. I have a couple tables with static data with 100+ questions. It will be too much repetitive work if students need to upload the data and re-create the steps every time they re-start a new cluster.

Looking forward to your advice!

6 REPLIES 6

Debayan
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi, It will be helpful if you provide the screenshots before and after the incident.

jose_gonzalez

Hi @Lizhi Dongโ€‹,

This might be a limitation from Community Edition. When your cluster gets terminated all your tables will be removed.

Hi @Lizhi Dongโ€‹,

Just a friendly follow-up. Did any of the responses help you to resolve your question? if it did, please mark it as best. Otherwise, please let us know if you still need help.

venkateshgunda
New Contributor II

I am also facing the same issue

1. Separation of Storage and Compute:

• Databricks separates storage from compute. Data stored in DBFS (Databricks File System) or external storage systems is persistent and not tied to the lifecycle of a cluster.
    • When you create tables and databases in Databricks, the data itself is stored in DBFS or external storage, but the metadata (such as table schema and definitions) is stored in the clusterโ€™s local metastore or in an external Hive metastore if configured.
  2. Cluster Metadata:

• The default Hive metastore that comes with Databricks clusters in the Community Edition is stored locally on the cluster.
    • When the cluster is terminated, the local Hive metastore is lost because it resides on the ephemeral storage of the cluster. This means that all metadata about tables and databases, such as their schemas and structure, is lost.
  3. Persistence of Data Files:

• The actual data files are stored in DBFS, which is a persistent storage system. DBFS is designed to retain data even if the cluster is terminated. This is why your data files remain intact.
    • The loss of metadata only affects the ability to query the data using the previously defined tables and databases. The data itself remains safe in DBFS.

Solutions to Persist Metadata

To persist the metadata (schemas, table definitions, etc.) across cluster restarts, you can use the following methods:

1. External Hive Metastore:

• Configure your Databricks cluster to use an external Hive metastore. This way, metadata is stored in a persistent external database (e.g., MySQL, PostgreSQL).
    • When you restart the cluster, it connects to the same external metastore, and all your metadata is preserved.

Example of configuring an external Hive metastore:

shell
    spark.sql.hive.metastore.jars /path/to/hive/jars spark.sql.hive.metastore.version 2.3.7 spark.hadoop.javax.jdo.option.ConnectionURL jdbc:mysql://<hostname>:<port>/metastore_db spark.hadoop.javax.jdo.option.ConnectionDriverName com.mysql.jdbc.Driver spark.hadoop.javax.jdo.option.ConnectionUserName <username> spark.hadoop.javax.jdo.option.ConnectionPassword <password>
  2. Metastore Persistence in DBFS:

• Save your table definitions as scripts or commands in DBFS and re-run them when the cluster restarts.
    • This can be automated using initialization scripts or Databricks Jobs.

Example of saving table definitions and recreating them:

python
    # Save table creation script to DBFS table_creation_script = """ CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS my_table ( id INT, name STRING ) USING parquet LOCATION '/dbfs/path/to/data'; """ dbutils.fs.put("/dbfs/path/to/scripts/create_table.sql", table_creation_script, overwrite=True) # Load and execute the script upon cluster start with open("/dbfs/path/to/scripts/create_table.sql", "r") as f: spark.sql(f.read())

By using these methods, you can ensure that both your data and metadata are preserved across cluster restarts in Databricks Community Edition.

Shivanshu_
Contributor

I believe only the metadata get's removed from HMS not the delta files from dbfs. Instead of loading the data again and again try using ctas with that dbfs location.

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!