cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too long hive type string

pantelis_mare
Contributor III

Hello community!

I have a table with a column that is an array of a struct that has a very very long schema.

When the table is written, all works well. Though, when I create a view based on this table and I try to access the view I get the error:

rg.apache.spark.SparkException: Cannot recognize hive type string: array<struct<hitNumber:bigint....,latencyTracking:struct<pageLoadSample:bigint,pageLoadTime:bigint,pageDownloadTime:bigin, column: hits, db: test, table: test

as you see the actual schema has been truncated at the end, before the column name comes.

The question is: is there a configuration on the size of the hive type string I could play with?

Thank you in advance,

6 REPLIES 6

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

what version of hive metastore do you use? Because there are issues with large metadata in metastore versions < 2.3.0

Hello @Werner Stinckens​ !

I see your point. Just checked and we are still in 0.13.0 (default one)

Is there any official documentation from #[Azure databricks]​ on how to do that?

Related to this, but not solved yet

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks a lot @Werner Stinckens​ !

I also came across this kind of documentation.. The question is whether you can upgrade your current internal metastore, and nothing about that unfortunately 😑

Afzal
New Contributor II

@Pantelis Maroudis​ , were you able to solve this issue? Please advise if you got any tip. Thanks in advance

Hello Afzal,

Unfortunately no 😞 We have not been able to create a view on this table.

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group